PDA

View Full Version : Please help with closed loop system

bevis28
03/18/2005, 10:52 PM
could someone please give me some specifics about how to go about plumbing my Closed Loop System. i appreciate people telling me waht they have but it reall doesnt help me resolve my plumbing issues. please see the following questions and provide some input
reguarding how to accmplish my plumbing project. thanx in advance.

Help !! Calling The Closed Loop System Experts
im getting ready to set up a new 120 rr tank. the tank has 2- 600 gph overflo's in it. it has been suggested that i cut a big hole in 1 of the overflos and tie the 2 bulkheads in that overflo togeather and use it as a feed for the closed loop system. i would rather not cut up a brand new tank so my questions are as follows.

1. is there an alternitive to cutting a hole in 1 of the overflo's to feed the closed loop system without having to worry about priming the pump by putting a T fitting in the piping ?

2. how much is too much as a flow rate in a closed loop system for a 120. i have ordered a OM super squirt to feed water back into the tank and a mag 24 to pull water into the closed loop system. it has been brought to my attention that a mag 24 may be too much flow thru the system and maybe it would blow corals over and slam the fish into the live rock. also i have heard that a closed loop system will be hell on the sand and will probally blow it all over the place. it has also been suggested that i may want to think about not having any substrate in the tank because of the closed loop system.

closed loop sounds great and sounds easy but it seems that there alot of things to consider and i need all the help that i can get in making the correct decisions so that i wont end up hating the system.

any intelligent input would be greatly appreciated.
thanx in advance.......

bertoni
03/18/2005, 10:56 PM
melevsreef.com has some great information on closed loops. I doubt that I would cut the tank, if it were mine.

bevis28
03/19/2005, 12:02 AM
thanx bertoni, i will look there. any other input will be appreciated.

45commando
03/19/2005, 12:39 AM
A Mag24 is not going to be too much flow in a 120,especially after you factor in head pressure & pipe diameter flow restrictions.Your fish face way more flow in the ocean than we can ever put in a tank.Lastly (I run Mag pumps & love them),but they are not recommended to be run externally(if yours is)as the seal can leak.HTH.

bevis28
03/19/2005, 01:05 AM
maybe i need to re-think what i am doing then. i am in the process of running a return up and over the tank lip for the CL and i was going to go down to a external mag24 and back up to the super squirt... huh.... im sure that there is a better way to do this and maximize the flow rate. im concerned about putting the mag24 in the tank because it will probally suck some livestock into it. do you have any suggestions b4 i go any further ?
thanx for the help.

bevis28
03/19/2005, 11:53 AM
ttt

bevis28
03/19/2005, 03:24 PM
bump

Larry Waughon
03/19/2005, 11:32 PM
I think melevsreef.com is one of the best places to look for closed loop systems. I would take and have holes drilled in back of tank so you wouldn't have anything hanging over the side of the tank.

jer77
03/19/2005, 11:53 PM
check out Anthony's thread. Melev has asked him for CL help before if I'm not mistaken. IMO he knows everything about CL's.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=520145 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=520145)