PDA

View Full Version : Manderin Dragonets - which do you keep?

Playdope
03/18/2005, 04:06 PM
I recently read that Green/Striped Manderins (Synchiropus splendidus) and Psychadelic Manderins (Synchiropus picturatus) may be eaten if kept with an anemone. I was wondering if it would be a problem if they were kept with a Rose BTA.. and if only larger/more aggresive anemones (like carpets) should be avoided?

I'm also looking to learn differences between the two above Dragonet species. So far all I have found is that the Psychadelics seem to eat brown flatworms. What about behavioral differences, etc..?

Thanks

onthefly
03/18/2005, 04:49 PM
I don't have any experience, but they're not fast swimmers so I could see the risk.

I think an RBTA would be fine...like you said, the big carpets is where the big risk comes in.

fishgeeksrus
03/18/2005, 04:59 PM
We have had both, currently have a spotted manderin and so far so good. With all of the gazing we do in our tanks, I have never noticed any type of behavior differences between the two. Unfortunatly we got our current one to eat flatworms and it doesn't touch the things. Our tank is a 180 right around 1 year in the making with a pretty good pod population. Our spotted seems fat and happy. HTH

Playdope
03/18/2005, 05:06 PM
I can't decide between the spotted or green.. they're both SO pretty!