PDA

View Full Version : favorite sea creature

teachermark
03/18/2005, 02:17 AM
As the title states, I thought for fun I would ask what everyone's favorite fish/invert/coral/other is overall. I'll start with my favorite. So far with my limited knowledge of the hobby, I think the green mandarin is my favorite. My mandarin is pretty social contrary to most. I love the way it kind of hovers around the place.

What is your favorite?

Mark

ahbroody
03/18/2005, 02:34 AM
Oh what the hell,
Pink neon bubble anemone with either a saddle back or clarkii clown

sirhelm
03/18/2005, 03:18 AM
Harlequin Tusk.

Coolest fish I have ever seen!!!

LOL

SH

Marc Daniels
03/18/2005, 03:38 AM
Lawnmower blenny...

Not the cutest fish, but nothing has it beat for character.

capescuba
03/18/2005, 11:13 AM
These guys are just HUGE and so passive. My wife and I dived in Tahiti a couple of years ago and had one followed us the entire dive that was easily as big as my wife!

http://www.redseacollege.com/finnish/assets/gallery/underwater/images/gallery7_jpg.jpg

JoeMack
03/18/2005, 11:54 AM
Denitrifying anerobic bacteria (because it hooks me up fat), and then the pods that run around my sand bed when i'm drunk at 4AM (because everyone else passed out) on a sat night, and then yes... Lawnmower blenny...

I'm going to get one soon as I find one that eats frozen again. My last guy had an incident with a powerhead. If anyone sees one that takes to other food than algae email me.

goslugsgo
03/18/2005, 12:02 PM
Leafy sea dragon, without question.

TheMandarinFish
03/18/2005, 12:45 PM
http://library.thinkquest.org/11922/fish/dolphin.jpg

Bamm Bamm
03/18/2005, 12:51 PM
Imperator Angel and a Great White=)

Mekong
03/18/2005, 01:09 PM
Dog face puffer and harlquin tusk! I wish I had the $ and room...

Other than that my favorate creature is
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/49344Mahatma-thumb.jpg

Every day when I come home he is burried in the sand and when I come in the door he jumps up and starts swimming back and forth to great me. He useto be scared to death of me and only swim when I was gone, its taken him about 1.5 years to do this. I had to hand feed him while he was burried to for about 3 months, cause he was too shy. He still hates it when other people come near though... Great fish!

SunfishFun
03/18/2005, 06:10 PM
Mandarin - Pacific white-sided dolphin rocks!
Mekong - who is that cute little guy peeking out? Please ID.

You people will laugh, but every time I see my white puffball (?) Xenia pulsing its heart out I am so happy I got into reefkeeping. My middle schoolers also love it in our classroom tank and want me to put a video camera on it to prove it pulses all the time.

In the sea, my vote is for the Ocean Sunfish (Mola mola). Sorry, no pic.
-maureen

darcitananda
03/18/2005, 06:11 PM
i've been wanting a hawkfish for some time and i just picked up a gorgeous arc-eye hawk at Lucky Ocean. I decided that I will just have to use kalk to kill my aiptasia since peppermint shrimp would be toast now. oops, got sidetracked there... well this new fish is easily the coolest fish in my tank (although I love Fugly the algae blenny still). capescuba, help me think of a name for my new hawk. just kidding! maybe your wife can help me. i'll try to take a pic of him.

capescuba
03/18/2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by darcitananda
... well this new fish is easily the coolest fish in my tank (although I love Fugly the algae blenny still). capescuba, help me think of a name for my new hawk. just kidding! maybe your wife can help me. i'll try to take a pic of him.

I'm sure she would come up with something - I mean how many people have a clownfish called Ronald anyway! :)

Bamm Bamm
03/18/2005, 06:18 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.. help me pick a name for my fish=)

Hey Darcy.. kalk works for you? Everytime I use it for the aptasias I feel like theres twice as many after=) I just added an army of 10 peppermints I hope they do the trick.. My yellow tang killed my new CBB I got a few weeks back.. I think he actually lasted 3 or 4 days the last one only lasted two.

sfsuphysics
03/18/2005, 06:18 PM
Darcy, you picked up that hawkfish from LO? Cool beans! I was contemplating getting that as well a week ago, but I like my shrimp too much. That is one cool looking fish, almost looked like it had some sort of tribal tattoo around his eyes :)

darcitananda
03/18/2005, 09:21 PM
Miek,

Yes, I have him now. He is waaay cool looking huh? My clowns keep killing my shrimp and crabs anyway, so I needed to find another way to kill aiptasia. I just kalked them today. I really hope they don't multiply! That would not make me happy, not happy at all...

capescuba
03/18/2005, 10:01 PM
From my experience if you inject them, they'll multiply, but if you smother them they seem to be easy pray and just melt away :)

Mekong
03/18/2005, 10:47 PM
SunfishFun- it a takifugu niphobles, rather rare to see them at LFSs, even harder to find any info on them on the net. I found only one web page and it was in japanese.

About aptasia, I find that they just keep freaking multipulying, smothered or not. I cant put in peppermint cause the lion, betta and puffer, so I guess all I can do is kalk, and kalk again, I have some that are in the back of my tank and impossible to get to.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/49344MahatmaWorm3.jpg

he is eating a eathworm in case anyone was wondering what that junk is

teachermark
03/18/2005, 11:45 PM
Awesome! You guys are naming some fish i've never even heard of. Ideas for the future......

Mark

darcitananda
03/20/2005, 12:35 AM
Zoro,

Yup, my fiance named the arc-eye hawkfish Zoro due to his cute little "mask". It's very fitting since he's always sneaking around in the dark. The fish, that is.

JsL30629
03/20/2005, 03:05 AM
It's a tie between sps eating red bugs and zoo eating nudis...

Seriously now...My favorite sea creture would be the helfrich's firefish. But, $200 is way outta my budget :(

sfsuphysics
03/20/2005, 09:21 AM
Darn Darcy, that fish sounds like he has some fun watching personality.. oh well.. my cleaner shrimp cost way more than the fish so it'd be silly to throw them away.