PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question to ask about clown fish

Reefing4Fun
03/17/2005, 04:37 PM
I know that this question is silly but, is it possible to house two type of clown, for instant a maroon and ocellaris, in the same tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank, no... not the skinny 4' long tank, and was thinking of getting a maroon and a pair of ocellaris at the same time.

Tell me if this is out of the question or if it's possible. Thank you and sorry again for the dumb question.

Apon
03/17/2005, 04:48 PM
I used to have ocellaris pair and a single tomato clown in the same tank. The tomato was bigger so he bullied the other 2 for a long time. The Maroon clown is one of the bigger and meaner of the clowns. I wouldn't do it unless you get a bigger tank.

capescuba
03/17/2005, 05:22 PM
Maroons are fiesty beasts - I wouldn't put another species of clown in my 210 for fear of it being beat up, so you'd want a very big tank to do so IMO.

BoomerD
03/17/2005, 05:26 PM
As a general rule, clownfishes are too territorial to be housed with other species, and most of the time, too territorial to even be housed with their own species, other than a breeding pair. Maroons are especially mean and territorial.

sfsuphysics
03/17/2005, 05:36 PM
Depending upon the age of those fish it is very possible the two will pair up and give you some freaky hybrid offspring.

I have two tomatos in my 135, and I'm quite hesitant to put my perc (who's in a 50 now) in the tank, although I'll have to soon.

Bamm Bamm
03/17/2005, 06:16 PM
usually you can't... Maroons are beautiful fish.. BUT they are mean as hell my GSM's would bite me would I'd put my hands in the tank.. I ended up selling them to fingerwrinkles to breed... all the maroons I've had have been very mean. I wouldn't try putting two species of clowns in a tank as small as that... I wouldn't try it in my 90g even.. Maybe with a 180 or 240

DanielMar
03/17/2005, 07:22 PM
IMO dont do it- things can get real nasty. Plus, think about the livestock you can lose.
Daniel

Reefing4Fun
03/18/2005, 10:37 AM
So, even if you introduce them at the same time - wouldn't work.

:(

Bumbed out but I knew it wouldn't work but had to ask the people in here.

Thankx again.

chipmunk
03/18/2005, 05:04 PM
Not in your 55. Might work, but chances are very slim.

IMHO, I wouldn't attempt in anything shorter than a 6 feet long tank. It's not the volume of the tank, it's the distance between the anemones/clowns. And then you have to keep the anemones from moving towards each other. Even 6' is too little IMO. While it can and has been done, I just wouldn't try it myself. Why risk it?

Now you have an excuse to buy another tank!

inlandreef
03/23/2005, 01:35 AM
Maroons are mean, I lost 4 fish to carpet surfing because of my GBM. I wouldnt put anyrhing that looks like them. I am surprised he hasnt killed my new Anthis.