PDA

View Full Version : why is my coraline turning white?

mke6103
03/16/2005, 12:19 AM
hey all
i was wondering if anyone knows why my coraline is turning white. the coraline is on top of a powerhead, and has been for about a month. i have coraline growth in other parts of my tank thats why i dont understand why this is getting white. is it a lack of something. i do about 7-10 gallon water changes about every 8-9 dayson a 55 gallon tank. i am not running a sump yet or a skimmer. im upgrading from a 55gallon tank to a 75gallon tank with a sump/fuge, a skimmer and a closed loop, i just want to get this fixed before i move on. thanx any suggestions or advice well appreciated.

jelf
03/16/2005, 12:28 AM
it could be your lights. if they are strong they will do that. it's not bad, their is actually white coraline algea, but darker purple and red grow better in lower lighting. by a calcium test kit. then you'll know if you need to dose.

mike660r
03/16/2005, 08:33 AM
Its possible that your Alk may be getting low. I have had powerheads go white too, from water changes when they are exposed to the open air for too long. I also loose coraline coloration with to much light exposure. You will find that your pinks and purples come from low light areas and your bright greens will show up in higher lit areas.

jelf
03/16/2005, 12:06 PM
thing you HAVE to get used to checking are alkalinity, calcium, ph, it is also good I recently learned to check magnesium because that is a vital part of the buffer, calcium system. i thought water changes surely replenished it but i was wrong! i use reef crystals and do plenty water changes, they must not have enough ma.

jelf
03/16/2005, 12:12 PM
once you learn how to monitor all of these things you can learn how and what to dose to keep the levels correct. ii personally think that is the fun part of reef tanks. i feel like a mad scientist. it is gratifying to see the results too. its a continual learning process that never stops unless you are an actual scientist.

mke6103
03/16/2005, 03:39 PM
thanx for the info jelf and mike660. i always thought the more light the more coraline growth. of all the anenomes and things in the tank i like the coraline growth the most, i dont know what it is about it but it the overall look of a tank with the coraline growth on the walls and rocks. keep the comments coming i love to learn