PDA

View Full Version : Any purple LTA owners out there

mike660r
03/15/2005, 10:04 AM
I picked up a purple LTA two months ago from saltycritter. It has been a real chore to keep it in any spot for any length of time. I finally gave up and let it go its own way. It seems to always find a spot in the dark. I am running 3 - 400 MHs on a 24" deep tank. Could it be that my lights are chasing it off and under the rocks? I am at a loss of understanding on this fella. It stays inflated as if it is healthy, but it won't adhear to anything under the lights. If anyone has experience with one of these beauties please let me know what tips you have on keeping them happy in one spot. I have tried to feed it silversides and I can't tell if it has ever truely eaten or not. Here are some tank water stats:

PH - 8.1 - 8.3
Temp - 78-80.6
SG - 1.026
Alk - 4.5 meq.
Cal - 480
Nitrate - 0
Phos - 0
Ammonia - 0

Conniereef
03/15/2005, 09:46 PM
My LTA is not purple, but assuming that color doesn't make a difference in the anemone's preference, I'll tell you what mine have done.
The wedge the base in between rocks, and have stretched upwards until they are right under a 400w MH and nearly directly in front of my water return. In other words, they prefer high light and high current.
I rarely feed mine; the maroon clown occasionally carries food into the LTA.
Don't know if this info will be of any practical use to you since there's not much you can do about positioning the LTA, but thought I'd share my experience.
Connie

Conniereef
03/15/2005, 09:48 PM
Oh no, a typo in my previous message!
Should be "They wedge the base..."

unoit
03/15/2005, 10:22 PM
Try a smaller food, like mysis in a turkey baster.

lori7973
03/15/2005, 11:11 PM
LTA's are not rock liking anemones, the ideal place for them is in the sand.

Conniereef
03/16/2005, 04:47 AM
Lori's comment made me pull out my books since my experience has been so different. Now I'm wondering if my anemones are actually LTA's.
If any of you have seen my tank, what do you think? If there's an anemone expert out there, would you like to come take a look? I'm confused!
Connie

mike660r
03/16/2005, 05:47 AM
I have tried placing it in the sand and it doesn't stay. I know that it had stuck to some rock in the back of the tank, once. It was only viewable from under the tank. That was the only way I could find it. I was concerned about it not eating back there so I used a powerhead to increase the flow in that area of the tank and over 30 minutes it let go, so that I could move it again.