PDA

View Full Version : NE1 willing to help a fellow reefer build a stand 4 my next project

reefer on a budget
03/14/2005, 11:44 PM
okay here is the deal. im getting a new 360gallon in the next week or so and do not have confidence in my wood working skills to build a stand to withstand the weight of 2tons.
im looking to see if anyone would be willing to lend their woodcraftmanship to build a stand for me
tank is 96x36x24.
i am looking for a simple stand that is primarily structurally sound and not so much a show piece. the tank will be located in the garage so prettiness is less of a concern to me. i plan to eventually sheet the stand if i become motivated later down the line but now the priority is just to have something to set the tank onto.
send me an email or PM so we can work out the details.
ill be paying cash(or even frags if thats what you're looking for).
im located in dalycity.
thanks
alex

wakskat
03/14/2005, 11:48 PM
Hey Alex,

Do you have plans yet or do you need someone who can help you plan it and build it?

Mark

prodman
03/15/2005, 12:00 AM
sent pm

reefer on a budget
03/15/2005, 12:01 AM
mark
i dont have plans and kinda flexible with the design.
the tank will be against a wall. since the tank is going to be in the garage, i am not so picky about the style and would opt for even a frame if it came to that. i am not really looking to build it myself and would be more willing to pay someone to build the stand.

wakskat
03/15/2005, 12:13 AM
Ok, I'd be willing to lend a hand, I'm handy with a saw and a hammer but as for designing something that would hold all that weight I bet prodman would be better cause he is a carpenter by trade. Good Luck.

Mark

sfsuphysics
03/15/2005, 12:27 AM
What I would do is 2x6s for all the structural stuff, and since this isn't a show piece, might be the only wood!:) (ok not really) Do *NOT* use nails or screws as any sort of strength measure they will sheer like nobody's business if any sort of sideways stress is put on them with a tank of that size. Use biscuits all over the place, they are so much stronger its not funny. You'll want to get a full sheet (length) worth of plywood across the back for lateral stress).

Now I know you're not going to do it yourself, but just something to keep in mind (and others as well) for doing large projects. I used tons of biscuits with my 135 stand I built and if there's an earthquake I'm sure the house will fail before that stand does :)

raddogz
03/15/2005, 12:29 AM
Mike-do you have a biscuit joiner?

sfsuphysics
03/15/2005, 12:30 AM
Eileen, yeah I do, why?

greg65
03/16/2005, 03:19 PM
alex

your PM box is full.
shoot me a PM, im sure we can work something out.

greg

reefer on a budget
03/16/2005, 03:29 PM
box cleared.

TiGs
03/16/2005, 04:19 PM
Do you guys need an assistant to fetch water, coffee, lunch, back scratcher? I would love to watch and learn how to build a stand.

Bamm Bamm
03/16/2005, 04:35 PM
I'll watch and supply moral support=) for frags of course.. just kidding..
I think you should build a steel stand though=) 100x stronger.. won't ever wear out either well unless it rusts through

reefer on a budget
03/16/2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by TiGs
Do you guys need an assistant to fetch water, coffee, lunch, back scratcher? I would love to watch and learn how to build a stand.

back scratcher...okay maybe if you were female..lol :D

fishdevil
03/17/2005, 08:51 PM
if you want to make out of steel pm me i can make you something that will hold.

Nukeproof
03/18/2005, 12:36 PM
Hey Greg,

Maybe you could hold a DIY stand building class at your shop. Of course you could charge us like any class would.

Patrick

Bamm Bamm
03/18/2005, 12:50 PM
I'd be down to attend a class. I remember we were planning this about a year or so ago.. But I think it was a BARE thing so I'm sure it fell through the cracks..

TiGs
03/18/2005, 02:42 PM
I would to attend a stand building class.

greg65
03/18/2005, 06:32 PM
Yep, Id be willing to do that. It was an idea I threw out there awhile back with the old club.......never went anywhere.

Ofcourse Id keep it rather simple, wouldnt want to turn any of you into cabinetmakers or Id be out of business:D

http://freeconservatives.com/smilies/cavy.gif

-greg-

sfsuphysics
03/18/2005, 07:50 PM
I can try to find my own plans for the stand of the 135 I built and post them, its fairly easy assuming you have the right tools (I mentioned biscuits earlier :)), and take your time making sure everything is level and straight as a fraction of an inch off on one side makes a big mistake 6 feet later at the other side :)