PDA

View Full Version : PH swing

aqua_obs
03/14/2005, 04:33 PM
Anyone out there keep track of how much their PH swings? I think mine goes from a low of 7.85 in the morning to 8.2 or 8.3 during the day. Another guy I know says his swings pretty similiarly. I thought it could be kept much steadier... My alk is a little low and that could be part of it, but the other guys measures at 9 and calc of 450.

My:
Calc 410
alk 6+

TAALBERG
03/14/2005, 04:56 PM
You better just calm down and learn to live with it!!!:lol:

vypr2002
03/14/2005, 05:22 PM
mine doesnt fluctuate, but I run a calcium reactor. that is about the only way to keep it constant. or buy a dosing pump to add buffer over night, but that is way touchy and dangerous

Generic
03/14/2005, 05:37 PM
I run my tank/sump on a reverse lighting schedule to help mitage this. I assume it help, guess I've never checked it though.

Murdock

dubitup
03/14/2005, 06:03 PM
aqua_obs,

My PH swings are very similar and I've made a DIY kalk drip w/ a 5g bucket (Thanks Brian for idea), to slow the swing, but the wife absolutely hates it (out in open)...gotta get some real estate for more equipment....Need another cabinet (CABBY, Paging CABBY) to match the stand. It really seems to help, but seem like I should add a refugium and doing kalk at night is a temporary band-aid.

Anyhow, I was very worried for a while about the PH swing, as I only figured this out after adding my calcium reactor to the system, and I now have a PH controller. My CR does not do much as far as keeping PH stable for 24hrs, but keeps the Cal. & Alk rock solid after some fine tuning. I also added a air pump w/ lime stone to the sump to help rid of excess CO2. I thought that that maybe why my PH swings so much, due to excess CO2 in the system, basement, poor air movement...but it's still swings.

Running a reverse photoperoid on your refuguim (if you have one, I don't) will keep it pretty PH steady, during low photosynthesis periods.

If I were you, I'd give me on of those UV units (Done DEAL =), I'll meet you again at the Broomfield Pork-n-Ride to pick it up) and wait for the next raffle, cause' something tells me you'll get something that will help with the PH swing =) Lucky Dog!!

Alex

prsguy
03/15/2005, 12:00 AM
I have a 10g fuge packed with chaeto on a reverse light cycle vs. the display tank. It helps, but it's not a total fix.

I made a neat little 64oz kalk dripper for about $4. I fill it up with RO/DI and add a teaspoon of kalk at about 7 or 8 every night and let the drip begin about 11 when I head upstairs.

My PH ranges from 8.1 to 8.25.

aqua_obs
03/15/2005, 05:23 PM
You guys have to quit with the reactor stuff. My tank is already too complicated! I can' t hardly handle it!

I have a fuge. I run it about 20 hours a day. Maybe reverse lighting would work better... I'm pretty sure I'm using my down time for the fuge in the middle of the night at the same time as the tank, so I can move that 12 hours.

I thought I had read quite a while back (alheimers is great) that buffering enough would stabilize the PH more. I guess I don't have a feel for a .3-.4 swing.

I think I need to run my brain through one of those UV filters!

prsguy
03/15/2005, 06:04 PM
I only run mine about 12 hours a day...