PDA

View Full Version : fish stuck in overflow

cyclgrl
03/14/2005, 02:35 AM
My mandarin dragonet is stuck in my overflow. It's a corner overflow in a standard 90G RR AGA tank (2' deep). Any suggestions on how to get her out? With the 2 pipes in there, it doesn't leave me much room to use a net...

Thanks,
Cindy

73ChargerFan
03/14/2005, 03:27 AM
Unscrew the overflow riser pipe from the bulkhead and it'll drop through to your sump. Or a large vinyl tube acting as a siphon, and suck it out.

Kayaknsk8
03/14/2005, 03:34 AM
If you can see the fish.

Turn off your return pumps and let the water drop, assuming you have a sump. Other, good time to do a water change and remove water.

When the level is below the overflow, you can now go after the fish. Attach a hose to a powerhead or a cannister, preferably with a ball valve to control flowrate.

Gently place the hose to the bottom of the overflow and pump water in. The water will now overflow back into the tank. You can gently increase and persuade the fish to swim up to a waiting net, cup, etc.

If you temporarily tape the holes of the overflow, you can flip him over the hurdle or he may even flow over.

You might be able to chase him up with a stream of bubbles too.

Hope this works....it did on the back of my envelope...

:crazy1:

albert

reefboy1
03/14/2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Cindy,

I've done it two ways. The first is the way Anthony mentioned. The second is to use 1" flex PVC and to siphon him out.

Good luck.

Art

TheMandarinFish
03/14/2005, 01:42 PM
You could go fishing for him, if you took the barb off the hook and figured out how to get a pod on the line somehow.

Bamm Bamm
03/14/2005, 01:45 PM
My clown Goby get's stuck in mine all the time.. I just slide my canopy forward about 6" and I yank out the big 1.25" Durso and then lets the water drain to the bulkhead. Then there's about 1/2" left in there I reach downa dn grab him=)

cyclgrl
03/14/2005, 02:48 PM
ok, got her out. I drained the overflow to about 3" of water and then fished her out with my smallest net. Luckily, she's not the type to dart about.

Did a water change on my overflow at the same time. Talk about detritus buildup!

Bamm Bamm
03/14/2005, 03:04 PM
=) Congratulations=)
Glad the mandarin made it. I have those stromabella or whatever there called snails breeding in my overflow box=)

cyclgrl
03/14/2005, 03:07 PM
By my estimation, she's been in there for at least 2 weeks. Actually, my overflow is where my mysis breed, so definitely not worried about her starving there. :)