PDA

View Full Version : so much to know about live rock!

adrmd
03/13/2005, 08:56 PM
I took the plunge and converted from my closed system to an open one. Starting over was painful but necessary. I needed to camouflage my drainage pipes with cured live rock built up with aragonite mixed with cement,but waititng for it to set we had to wait over 24 hours and despite keeping the rock moist with towels I basically will be dealing with a dead rock matrix when I finally fill the tank tommorrow. We could have used dead rock to start with but thought we could build the reef fast enough to fill it sooner. In any case, I want to know how, where, when etc. to get some premium live rock to seed the entire reef. I used 100 lbs of rock already to sculpt over the inflow and outflow that originate from the bottom of my 110 gallon flat backed hex tenecor acryllic tank that is viewed from all sides. (I'm sorry I don't have pix posted yet. I'll try this week). Will 20-30 lbs of premium LR be enough to seed the entire system. How long will it take to do so. If this is the case then I will spend whatever it takes to get the best, but where and what is the best.Thanks for your input. I never really knew there was so much to know about LR.

BrianD
03/13/2005, 09:06 PM
[moved]

edwar050
03/14/2005, 01:35 AM
make sure you have good lighting metal halides or strong vho or t5, and If so sense your a plasic surgon I would say check out tampa bay, I have seen the rock and to me its some of the best around.

adrmd
03/14/2005, 06:15 PM
Where in tampa Bay do you get the rock? Thx for the reply,by the way.

patsan
03/14/2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by adrmd
Where in tampa Bay do you get the rock? Thx for the reply,by the way.

TBS (http://www.tbsaltwater.com/)