PDA

View Full Version : phosphate pad

Angelito
03/13/2005, 01:06 AM
Just bought a phosphate pad and instructions says to place 1st pad for 24 hours then remove it and place 2nd pad for 48 hours. Is this safe for reef and fish? Will it work? If I do just 12 hrs on the first pad then 24 hours on the 2nd pad will that work. Anyone who has used phosphate pads pls share info. it is my first time to use such pad.

Thanks
Angellito

iCam
03/13/2005, 01:10 AM
Hey. What brand is it? I have never heard of a phosphate remover that is supposed to work in 72 hours.

Angelito
03/13/2005, 01:28 AM
Tropical Science --- phosphate filter - for all freshwater and marine aquarium. Removes 800 mg phosphate in 120 gallon tank.

dchao
07/06/2005, 12:46 AM
Anyone has any experience?

jorgemonteon
07/06/2005, 02:14 AM
I personally haven't used it, but it sounds like a standard ion-exchange membrane and probably functions similarly to RowaPhos or Phosban, but membranes typically have a much higher dynamic binding capacity and are not limited by flowrate (unlike resins) but membranes suffer from limited overall capacity. The fixed anion-exchange ligand on the membrane is probably something like iron chloride, iron chloride sulfate, or aluminum sulfate, or similar. It's most likely an iron III based exchanger if the membrane is a dark brown color. In any case, PO4 (3-) binds to the ligand and CL (-) or SO4(2-) is exhanged and released into the water column. Keep in mind, it's more than likely not going to bind 800mg of phosphate only, as the manufacturer descirbes! The ion-exchange ligand doesn't differentiate between say phosphate or carbonate, or similarly charged species. However due to orthophosphate's (PO4 (3-)) negative charge density, it will probaly bind more tightly than other ionic species.

In short, I imagine it would be OK to use. But because it is a pad, I would only use it sparingly as it will trap detritius and little critters (i.e. pods). If you do plan on using it , place it in a cansiter filter or similiar; Ion-exchangers function best when they have a high water flux through their cross-section...but again, they foul easily.

A better alternative to ion-exchange resins or pads would be biological filtration and regular maintenance (e.g. macroalgae, water changes, detritus removal).

hope this helps...