PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef Skimmer Group Buy

DanielMar
03/12/2005, 11:30 PM
Anyone want to get in on a skimmer buy? I talked to Dr Le at Aquatic Gallery and he said if we get enough units he would give us a good discount. I'm in for the cs 12-2 rc.
Anyone else?
How about opinions on the"Best" skimmer to buy and performance/dollars wise? Function attributes-pro/con? Whats your best skimmer?
Daniel
Wanna buy a Sea Clone?
BAR newbie

kbecker
03/13/2005, 12:22 AM
I'd be in for a cs 6-2-rc or cs 6-2-rc+ if the price / discount were right. Since the rc models are custom, do you think i can get the drain fitting mod done with the group order?

DanielMar
03/13/2005, 01:23 AM
kbecker,
We would need to check on that one with Dr. Le. I would assume so. Are you speaking of flow(valve throttling) restriction? If so, easy enough to do with an in-line ball valve. (i'm not sure what this mod is) Skimmate drain maybe?
Daniel

kbecker
03/13/2005, 01:39 AM
The skimmate drain on the collection cup. I go on business trips on occassion and would like the extra capacity a drain fitting would provide.

palabok
03/13/2005, 05:02 AM
the Euro Reef RC takes a few more weeks to finish and dont they cost 2x the price of the regular CS

prodman
03/13/2005, 12:42 PM
They charge $25 to add the drain fitting. I am having one put on my new skimmer

bladze
03/13/2005, 04:11 PM
I am in for CS12-1 or CS12-1-RC and of course depend on the price too.

gavin123
03/13/2005, 04:36 PM
depending on price i'd might be in.

gavin

lukasnca
03/13/2005, 05:12 PM
Daniel,

You should ask Dr.Le what kind of pricing to expect -- ask him for a discount based on ranges of units ordered (<5, 5-10, 10-15, etc). A statement that you need to get "enough units" to get a "good discount" isn't really specific enough.

You can checkout prices at:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EURO

to get a good idea of a starting price. Since the company is out of state there are no taxes included though you will have to factor in $40+ for shipping depending on the weight of the unit.

Luke.

73ChargerFan
03/13/2005, 08:32 PM
I've ordered these online before. They're shipped from the factory in S. California, and my ES5-2 cost about $12 s+h.

The prices shown at the link above are MSRP, and ER prohibits online retailers from advertising any price below that.

73ChargerFan
03/13/2005, 08:32 PM
I highly recommend Euroreef skimmers, btw.

Reefugee
03/13/2005, 09:51 PM
Daniel,

Depending on the price, I'd be interested in a skimmer. I am looking for an CS6-1. I didn't see the ES model on Marine Depot's site. Also - reading the Euroreef forum, there is a beta of a new design. I wonder what the new design will be like.

Minh

lukasnca
03/13/2005, 11:01 PM
The beta is for a new and improved pump. The final product won't be available for another 4-5 months. Euro-reef will not upgrade or offer a trade in on existing skimmers.

DanielMar
03/13/2005, 11:18 PM
So far, I see five wanted units of varying size. Gavin can you get me a model? Bladze, pick one model or maybe you want two? Lukasnca, would you like a unit? I think we should find out how many (units and model specifics) to see. We need to know what they want.
persons/models= DanielMar=CS-12-2-RC+drain, kbecker=CS-6-2-RC+drain, bladze=CS-12-1-RC, mn95616=CS-6-1, gavin123=?.
Correct?
Daniel

gavin123
03/13/2005, 11:41 PM
I'll take the cheapest one possible, if i'm gonna get one. Since i'm a college studnet i don't have a unlimited budget.

like a es5-2, can you still get the es series?

gavin

lukasnca
03/13/2005, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure. I am in the market for a skimmer but I'm not sure about the Euro-reefs. If you look at the Euro-reef forum there are quite a few people that are not all that happy with their ERs. Most of the complaints seem to have to do with the parts that are used to make the skimmer. Now I know that there are tons of people that love their ERs but I'm just saying that there is significant percentage that have problems.

I've been thinking about the Deltecs and H&S as well.

With H&S the problem is that they have had really bad customer service (and supply) in the past. I think that this may be a non-issue now as there is a new rep in the US for them.

Deltec has awesome customer service -- check out the Deltec forum ... but they are more expensive. I spoke to Ken at AC on Saturday about his new Deltec and he said that its not working as well as his RC Euro-reef so now I'm not so sure which way I want to go.

Anyway ... what I was trying to hint at in my previous post was that its probably cheaper to order the skimmer out of state as you won't pay tax. Its unlikely that any local vendor will be able to give you that big of a discount on the skimmers. I'm sure that some of the online vendors can also do group discounts.

Now of course if you're a good citizen you'll check off that box on your tax return that says you bought things on the internet and you want to pay more taxes. :)

DanielMar
03/13/2005, 11:51 PM
Lukasnca,
Yep, I talked to AC about them too and they said Deltec was just as good but more expensive. They have one on the stony display. But they did recommed Euro Reef. So did Dr. Le/employees. I asked about function duration with Dr. Le's and they said he has had little probs. and he has 10-15 units I believe.
Daniel

lukasnca
03/14/2005, 12:21 AM
He's also a dealer so he gets better service than you or I would and he's also trying to sell you a skimmer :) Like I said ... check out the euro-reef forum and you'll see lots of complaints.

Anthony C. recommends euro-reef as well along with the AquaC EV series skimmers. I currently have he AquaC EV-120 and its great for aerating the water ... not much else. If the water level in the sump is exactly right, the moon, sun and jupiter align and I'm using the microwave it skims just great but ... :)

Anyway, based on my last skimmer mistake I'm being a little bit paranoid.

lukasnca
03/14/2005, 12:23 AM
BTW, gavin, have you looked into getting a blem? h2otropicals.com used to sell blem euro-reefs for less. I believe that they mostly had cosmetic issues.

prodman
03/14/2005, 12:45 AM
I have had excellent service from euroreef. When I have posted questions on the sponser fourm I get pms in response. So when you browse the er fourm its just people answering for jeff who in my opinion dont have any buisness doing so. In the last response I got from Jeff at er today he said there was not going to be any er sponser fourm any more.

lukasnca
03/14/2005, 12:50 AM
I'm not that worried about ERs service ... just about the quality of some of the components that they use. That seems to be the big problem that people have with them. At least from what I've been able to see in the forum.

As for not having a forum ... *shrug* ... not sure that that's a good thing.

DanielMar
03/14/2005, 12:55 AM
Luka,
To have as many as Dr. Le has and have little problems with Euro Reefs I think that means something. Also they have been running a year or two I believe was said.
Daniel

teachermark
03/14/2005, 01:22 AM
i'm in for a cheaper model for my 60 gal.

Reefugee
03/14/2005, 01:30 AM
Daniel - I am more incline to get the ES 5-2 if you can get that. Trying to save some $$$ for a bigger tank. :D

Minh

amgbenzs
03/14/2005, 03:13 AM
mn-
ES model are discontinued. Changed to the new RS. RS models are not available for online vendors.

Reefugee
03/15/2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the info amgbenzs. Well, let's see what price Daniel can get for the smallest Euroreef skimmer. I am also considering ASM.

Minh

palabok
03/15/2005, 05:30 AM
mn95616- since you are upgrading in the future why dont you just save for a bigger skimmer so you dont have to spend a 2nd time later

Reefugee
03/15/2005, 11:09 AM
Palabok - when I upgrade, I still plan on keeping this tank. :-D Thanks for the suggestion though.

DanielMar
03/16/2005, 02:17 AM
Ok so is this all that want to get in on this? Hello out there, anyone looking for a skimmer? Going once, going twice, ok we will wait another day or so and then see if anyone else will bite(fishin). Btw Dr. Le has agreed to take all the monies personally so I don't have to. SO, is there anyone who wants to save some money and get in on this skimmer buy? Write in here and tell us please. I'm sure some of our tanks are gettin icky, itchie, ithchy, doh, you know what I mean.
Daniel

kbecker
03/17/2005, 02:03 AM
Any specifics on the price break down / group rate? I am sure you can get a quote based on the current interested parties.

DanielMar
03/18/2005, 09:49 PM
OK people, lets write in if we want to get in on this! This is the last call. Im looking at Tuesday to turn in this list.
persons/models= DanielMar=CS-12-2-RC+drain, kbecker=CS-6-2-RC+drain, bladze=CS-12-1-RC, mn95616=CS-6-1, gavin123=ES-5-2 if possible, nukeproof CS-12-1 or CS-8-4, mygirls=CS-6-2.
Correct? Please let me know.
THis IS the last Call.
Daniel

kbecker
03/19/2005, 02:56 PM
Do you think you can get a price quote before you commit everyone to the purchase? I would like to know how much of a discount we can get before I commit to purchasing one. If we can get a good discount (far better then can be done online) then I would be willing to purchase a larger skimmer.

The bottom line is that I would like to know how much the discount will be and how much my skimmer will cost. You should be able to call Dr. Le and use the current information (ie quantity of skimmers and sizes) to get a discount quote.

Thanks.

DanielMar
03/19/2005, 04:37 PM
kbecker,
Thats what this is all about.
I will PM everyone with prices. It is up to you to act on it. I just need to know so, I can tell Dr. Le to price, then order/accept deposit on them. Once all deposits are received by Dr. Le then he can see we are serious. The deposit price is dependent on him-not me. Of course you will need to drop the money off to him prior to ordering.
Are you in a rush to get your skimmer? I'm trying to save us some money here. If you want, why don't you call him? This is a GROUP buy. Lets get a GROUP together and we shall buy. AND save money-but if you are in a hurry I suggest you look else where. I have stated closing day on this buy and submittal of the WANTED list/models. If you wish to change your model I suggest you let me know cause this is closing next week.
Thank You
Daniel

kbecker
03/19/2005, 05:36 PM
I am not so much as in a rush, but just wanted to see some numbers. I didnt know your exact plan and now I do. I would like to bump up the model of my skimmer to the CS-6-2-RC+ (the one with the bigger pump) and would still like the drain fitting on the collection cup.

Thanks for the update.

DanielMar
03/21/2005, 08:54 PM
Here we go: Euro Reef Protein Skimmer group buy
persons/models= DanielMar=CS-12-2-RC+drain, kbecker=CS-6-2-RC+drain, bladze=CS-12-1-RC, mn95616=CS-6-1, gavin123=ES-5-2 if possible, nukeproof CS-12-1, CS-8-3, CS-8-4, mygirls=CS-6-2.
Correct? Please let me know.
Gavin,
Just a note- I believe the unit you want is no longer available.
TO ALL,
Did I miss anything? Please let me know.
Daniel

gavin123
03/21/2005, 10:27 PM
what is the smallest available?

DanielMar
03/21/2005, 11:44 PM
Gavin,
You will need to check The Euro Reef web site
http://www.euro-reef.com/
site was down when I posted this
Daniel

nov8tve
03/22/2005, 02:42 AM
I need a skimmer for a 120g, what would be comparable to a aquac ev-240? PM me with prices.

Thanks,
Paul

DanielMar
03/23/2005, 03:11 PM
Just to let everyone know - The list has been submitted and Dr. Le is checking on prices. I will notify everyone as soon as I hear.
nov8tve maybe you could call Dr. Le yourself @ www.aquatic-gallery.com
and explain you want to get in on Daniel's skimmer group buy. He may go for it.
Daniel

DanielMar
03/26/2005, 12:09 AM
Update - nothing yet.
Daniel

DanielMar
03/27/2005, 12:46 AM
Update - OK I talked to Dr. Le tonight. He says Monday he should have some prices for us.
Daniel

Reefugee
03/27/2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the update and putting this together.

Minh

DanielMar
03/27/2005, 12:53 AM
No problem Minh. Just thought we could all save some money and get Dr. Le some business. Support lfs's!
Daniel

Reefugee
03/28/2005, 03:11 AM
Daniel,

I just noticed that the Euro Reef CS5-2 just came out. Do you know if we will be able to get pricing on this?

Marine Depot currently has it listed for $239.

Minh

DanielMar
03/28/2005, 07:26 PM
UPdate - Nothing yet from Dr. Le.
Minh - will relay above info to Dr. Le.
Daniel

DanielMar
03/29/2005, 08:27 PM
Update - I have received all the data on the units requested. I will be PMing everyone on the prices/protocols.
Daniel

DanielMar
03/29/2005, 08:39 PM
OK everyone PMed I think.
Daniel

big bear1
03/29/2005, 08:55 PM
how much can he get the CS12-1-RC for?

DanielMar
03/29/2005, 11:44 PM
Just so everyone knows, I have one other vendor that has expressed interest in giving us some better prices. I will let you know of the results.
Daniel

big bear1
03/29/2005, 11:52 PM
looking at the prices it seems higher then the prices at custom aquatic without RC 5% discount. does bao prices include tax and shipping.

DanielMar
03/30/2005, 12:51 AM
I asked those questions and no answer. I think I will check (custom aquatic) them next. Site was down at this time.
Daniel

pcbox
03/30/2005, 01:34 AM
How much would the EURO-CS6-1 cost?

DanielMar
03/30/2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by DanielMar
Just so everyone knows, I have one other vendor that has expressed interest in giving us some better prices. I will let you know of the results.
Daniel
Other vendor came up with same prices.
One thing we should keep in mind: Dr. Le is here, warranty is here - not you mailing it out, he may have replacement warranty parts "in stock" not mail away- again saving your tank in the event of failure. So, I see this as a "win / win" situation. And he is a LFS which is important too. Besides having great livestock to buy and our SPONSOR TOO.
Daniel

kbecker
03/30/2005, 11:34 PM
So if we are going ahead with this then I will pay for my skimmer this week. I will pm daniel when I pay so he can keep tabs of what is going on and to keep the rest of us updated.

73ChargerFan
03/31/2005, 07:01 PM
Consider emailing H2OTropicals about blems. Their email address is: orders@h2otropicals.com

DanielMar
03/31/2005, 11:37 PM
kbecker sounds good. I'm in for this week too, so, that is two of us so far.
Daniel

Reefugee
04/01/2005, 01:06 AM
Daniel,

I am going to pass. I think I am going to pick up a ASM or a smaller Euro Reef instead. The discount wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Thanks to you and Bao Le for putting this together.

Minh

DanielMar
04/01/2005, 03:54 PM
No problem Minh.
Daniel

DanielMar
04/05/2005, 11:30 PM
O.K., all the people that expressed they would like a skimmer to buy, involved in this group, should get to Dr. Le's before Friday. If you can't, you should work out arrangements with him. I will be PM'ing everyone concerned with this same info.
Thanks for your help.
Daniel

DanielMar
04/08/2005, 09:33 PM
The orders are in and thanks to all interested!
Daniel

smoknreefrs
04/08/2005, 09:44 PM
im in...interested in a cs8-1...

smoknreefrs
04/08/2005, 09:45 PM
oopss wrong forum

DanielMar
04/10/2005, 04:11 PM
2 out of 7, replied to ordering/not ordering units. I guess thats not bad odds for the internet. Luckily Dr. Le is kind enough to let us have a substantial discount regardless of those who did not respond.
Daniel