PDA

View Full Version : Halide cracked, possible casualties...any suggestions?

dunklerkaiser
03/12/2005, 08:25 PM
I just got a new set of xm 10k 250W bulbd 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed several corals and my clam were looking poor. I ran carbon and checked the water. Everything was ok.

Today, everything looked worse, and I found the problem. One of the bulbs was cracked clear through, the end almost falling off. Apparently it broke and was spilling radiation into the tank :(.

All acro polys are receded, which has never happened before although there is no bleaching..yet. Toadstool is shriveled, although I think it will recover.

I am most concerned about my 2 yr old crocea. The best I can describe it is that the mantle looks swollen. It is barely extending the mantle and it looks thicker than usual and discolored. It is responding to light stimuli though, so that is a plus at least. Is there anything that I can do to help my corals/clam out? I have put in an old 20k bulb in the broken ones place. After I found the crack, I left all lights off for about 6 hrs to let things recoup.

dunklerkaiser
03/13/2005, 12:32 PM
bump,

clam looking even worse today :(

Jeffie
03/13/2005, 03:30 PM
This happened in my tank once but only ran for about 20 min. with the end of the bulb off. Corals can get sunburnt very bad very easily. There is a good chance some of your corals will not survive with the tank running that way for that long. Not much you can do but wait it out and see what happens.