PDA

View Full Version : I need help setting up my CA reactor.

datman422
03/12/2005, 06:47 PM
Hi there fellow reefer, I just purchase a pre-owned K2R calcium reactor with a C02 filled with a regulator and bubble counter. However, the unit did not come with a manual and I am still unfamiliar as to how to set the unit up. I just filled the reactor with new media 2/3 way in the reactor and completed hooking all the tubing together. Now what is the next step,

1. Do I pump tank water into the reactor using the ehiem pump that is built with it, or do I feed water to the reactor using a external pump?
2. After I get water into the reactor, do I turn on the c02 tank, and do I open it up all the way?
3. What should the regulator read?
4. What should the bubble count be?
5. How long do I keep my ph at 6.7 to “melt the media�
6. During this time, where is the effluent running to? “my sump, or an other container�

Answering these question will be great. Other comments and input would also be most grateful. THX.

SeanT
03/12/2005, 07:49 PM
1. The pump mounted to it is to recirculate the water thru the media.
2. Yes and yes.
3. That depends on how full the CO2 tank is.
4. This varies from system to system depending on the demands of your reef. Start at about 50 bpm.
5. Permanently.
6. Sump.

hth,
Sean

SeanT
03/12/2005, 07:52 PM
One other thing.
Having an electronic pH probe like a Pinpoint is great.
This enables you to check the effluent of your reactor.

Before starting all this measure your tanks Calcium and Alkalinity levels.
Then get the pH of the effluent to where you want it to be.

Then do NOTHING to the reactor and measure your Ca and Alk everyday for 4-5 days.

You will notice them either rise, fall or stay the same.
If they rise, then lower your effluent drip rate. If they fall then slighty increase effluent drip rate and bubble count.
If they stay the same touch nothing.

Continue to monitor until you get it right.

On another side note.
Set your effluent drip rate to about 60-80 mL a minute as a starting point.

hth,
Sean

datman422
03/12/2005, 08:50 PM
SeanT, thx. the feeder line to the sump, Will a rio 500 be ok to use to feed the reactor? After the reactor is filled with water, will I continue to used the rio 500 to constancely feed the reactor, or will it run on its owe using the built in ehiem pump?

SeanT
03/12/2005, 11:46 PM
Personally I would use a Maxi Jet 900 or 1200.
Maxi Jet's are workhorses and noone that I know of has ever had any kind of serious problem with them.

Conversely, many have had Rio's crap out and kill entire tanks.

After all you the time, effort and moolah you invest, don't sell yourself or your system short with a known troublemaker.

And to answer your question, both pumps need to run continuously.

jmo,
Sean

datman422
03/13/2005, 02:33 AM
Do you really need that much pressure pumping into your reactor? Its that ehiem pump enough suction for the reactor? Excuse me if I ignorance to this, but I just wanted to confirm. thx

datman422
03/13/2005, 06:30 PM
If seanT is unavailable, can some one answer these questions. thx

SeanT
03/14/2005, 01:32 AM
The Ehei pump isn't the feed pup.
All it does is circulate water around.
You have to have tank water coming in to be "loaded up" (for lack of a better term) with Calcium and Alkalinty and sent back out.

datman422
03/14/2005, 08:23 PM
thx SeanT. You have been a lot of help. I will set up the unit tonight after work. I will keep you posted if new question arrive.

datman422
03/15/2005, 12:01 AM
Ok something has come up. I started setting everthing up. I assemable all the pumping together, and here is what I did.

1. Set a feeder pump into the sump,
2. Filled the CA reactor with water,
3. Plugged in the ehiem pump from the reactor,
4. Loosen the central knob from the regulator
5. Plug in the Solenoid.
6. Slowly open the cylinder value, Let the tank pressure gauge read 750psi.

Now what, I can’t get a bubble count. There is no water in the bubble counter or in the line that feeds it. When I screwed back in the regulator know, but gauge reads 8psi, when I tighten up all the way, it whistle and the gauge maxed out. I loosen the needle value, but nothing. What now. Thx for the help!