PDA

View Full Version : PVC rock stands

chris4693
03/11/2005, 10:37 PM
How many of you built stands to stack your live rock on?

Was going to try and get 40lbs of rock to finish out my scape. When I do this I was goign to remove all the rock and stack it all back one peice at a time till I get it they way I want it.

I was thinking about building a couple of PVC stands that will go just over the top of the sand in the back and just to the top of the sand in the front.

I was also thinking about incorperating part of a closed loop into them to help move water behind the rocks to keep detris from settling on the rocks and to create some currents comming from behind the rocks.

Any thoughts or ideas?

pwhitby
03/11/2005, 10:50 PM
the Dalas world aquarium uses acrylic shelves and cable ties....looks really nice.

mdiddy7s
03/12/2005, 12:05 AM
What is an acrylic shelf, and how does it work?

JR719
03/12/2005, 12:33 AM
Chris,

When you build your stand, cap it off. Drill holes where you would like water flow. Add a pump to flow water thru the pipe and escape thru the holes. I have been debating on doing this and think it is a good idea. That way you will have flow in the smallest of spaces removing buildup.

Just my 2 pennies,
Jeff

chris4693
03/12/2005, 01:30 AM
I was thinking of caping the stands, then using loc line so I can direct the water to where I want it to go based off of the seascape.

Thinking I can incorperate this into a closed loop and using an Oceans Motions device, with 4 outlets T'ed out to 8. 4 behind the rocks and 4 above.

Sequence would be 2 above, 2 behind, 2 above, 2 behind.

When setting this all up I was also thinking of changing my refuge return from 2 to 4 outlets this way I could spread the flow out more.

Overall it would be about 1900gph flow on a 100 gal tank.

jdieck
03/12/2005, 01:40 AM
Chris:

I would keep it simple. Depending on how deep your sand bed will be I used 2" and 11/2" PVC couplings as colums to sustain the rock above the bottom. Used three for each rock, Large pieces first then use branch and plate to keep open spaces in the formation for water circulation. Not real need to add forced circulation trough the rock with enough open space.
Once the rock is positioned I added the sand and use a powerhead to push it (blow it) under the rock and in between the PVC stands.
To prevent stagnated water inside the PVC columns I used a 1" hole saw to dril three holes on the sides of each 120 deg apart.
Now if you still want to add a loop within the rock insure that the inlet and outlet of the loop come down from the top of the aquarium and not trough the sides. It is always tempting to do it trough the sides but as there is no overflow if the pipe or bulkhead develops a leak you will need to empty the aquarium to have it fixed.

eddybabyhd
03/12/2005, 01:47 AM
I have PVC stands in my main tank...they are great for adding the additional space under the rocks too...let me know if you need examples...

here is the tank as just stands, then after i scaped it using the same amoutn of rock, give or take 20 pounds

ED

eddybabyhd
03/12/2005, 01:51 AM
this was day one of getting the tank ready for stocking 3/24/2004

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/eb6713/lake015.jpg

almost a year later

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/eb6713/reef114.jpg

_Sooner_2
03/12/2005, 09:40 AM
I used PVC and eggcrate to make shelves for my rock. Pretty easy to do, and very cheap.

virgin reefer
03/12/2005, 09:27 PM
I have some black plastic mesh and an empty 75G. I really want to do this please help with any suggestions. PM me. How has this contributed to the water flow in your tanks. Great photo.

Meisen
03/12/2005, 09:52 PM
Here is a thread that I started discussing this:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468611 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468611)

LMK if you have any questions about how I did it (or caveats from what I would do differently lol). They are working pretty well and overall I am pleased. The tank has been up for 4 months or so now and is coming along. I would definitely go closed loop in retrospect. Next tank will have one for sure.