PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Sea Marine Mix

LanT
03/11/2005, 01:38 PM
I can get Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Marine Mix here for really cheap. About $18 for 150g. I was wondering if you heard about it reacting with tropic marin the way it reacts with Instant Ocean. The reason is I plan to cycle with Crystal Sea Marine Mix , but I want to use tropic marin in the long term. I don't what the bleaching effect, so if Crystal Sea Marine Mix is still not a good salt then I will just cycle with Instant Ocean. TIA.

Anthony Calfo
03/11/2005, 03:37 PM
I really think it is best to stick with only one (good) quality sea salt brand. If you have decided to use Tropic Marin for future/regular use... I think its a fine choice.

And I don't think any small savings on any/another salt brand mixed in (risk of stress tank for change) early is worth it in the long term for you. FWIW

Anthony

LanT
03/11/2005, 05:30 PM
But the new tank I'm cycling will be 240g, with the sump and refuge that total will be well over 300g. I could save seventy plus dollars using the cheaper salt for cycling. Do you think it's worth saving that much money?

Anthony Calfo
03/11/2005, 09:53 PM
please do(!) reconsider.

What is saving $70 compared to the thousands you will invest very soon... not to mention the potential loss of life with some sea salts or changes in sea salt. This is a very poor habit to start (skimping).

Put another way... if you feel Crystal Sea is worthy enough (not disagreeing/debating), then why not use it always/entirely?

Or if you doubt it enough... then why use it at all?

You already have my opinion FWIW: Tropic Marin all the way

best of luck/life

Anthony :)