PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clownfish has 'fungal' growth on lip.

Clyde
09/03/2000, 10:25 AM
2 small 'fungual' I assume it is, becuase it was not there last night

anyone know where I can find info on fungal growth on the web ? I'm assuming its fungus of some type.

Maroon clown is in a

58 gallon Oceanic
SPS only (but has a single shroom, xenia pom pom and elongta cant get rid of it) some Green and Pink Star POlyps, otherwise thats about it.

30 lbs of Live rock maybe a little more.

lighting - single 175W MH and Actincs (dual 400's coming soon)

Now my othe question, how do clowns get fungal growth on lips etc ?

thanks

Clyde
09/03/2000, 09:23 PM
seems its some kind of parasite - werid tank set up 4-5 months only fish intank since then, added bangaii cardinals week or two ago, all is well, overnight this happens..

update.. mouth is 'forced' open

no hard breathing, no clamped fins (not that I can tell) swimming OK but not as active as it usually is..

hope clown will be ok overnight, as LFS will be closed tmrw, will try freshwater dip if I can get the clown, a lot of rockwork to dig out.

FMarini
09/04/2000, 09:12 PM
Hi:
Yes I saw your post in the other section of the bulletin board, and also looked in detail at the photo of the lip...My suspision is that it is a lip fungus...either way..its not a problem, if the fish is healthy and eating this will clear up after a few days. In banggais this is often caused by 2 males fighting or the fish dashing into the rock work and injuring the lips. Assuming the fish is acting normal, eating normal, it will clear up. If it doesn't clear up in a week write back and I have some treatment protocols.
Thanks for posting, and I'm sorry no one replied to you sooner, Maybe we're all enjoying our labor day holiday off
frank

Clyde
09/04/2000, 10:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FMarini:

sorry no one replied to you sooner, Maybe we're all enjoying our labor day holiday off
frank<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats ok - but thing bugged me the normal board got a lot more traffic :) so I just moved it there and try to get attention

i hope everyone's weekend was good mine was - (not counting worring about the clown)

the minnesota state fair was fun.

billsreef
09/05/2000, 05:49 AM
Hey, guys, a weekend off...I'm jealous :D The draw back to working in retail is working the weekend, unfortunately "holidays" are just another day to work, usually twice as hard due to all the people that have off and go shopping. I'm suffering some retail burnout here so will shut up before I go on and on and on... :D

On to the subject on hand...
I agree with Franks initail assesment. Clowns often get into little scraps are even just trying too hard at clearing an area of rock up. I'll only add that if this starts to cause the clown any obvious distress or a diminished appetite let us know.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784