PDA

View Full Version : any big aquariums in cleveland?

agoutihead
03/10/2005, 11:59 PM
does anyone know of any really big public aquaruims to go to? is there a good display at the zoo? any where else? thanks!

VoidRaven
03/11/2005, 09:47 AM
The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo has a marginally passable display in their Cat & Primate building. I must admit I was really rather disappointed by it. The zoo itself is pretty good, especially for being one of the oldest (if not the oldest) zoo in the nation. I mean, I love the place enough to have been a sustaining member for the past five years and I plan to continue well into the future. I just wish that they would expand a few of the exhibits (especially the aquarium section).

As a side note, off topic of your question, the zoo is an awesome place to practice wildlife photography too.

Columbus Zoo has a very nice aquarium building that also includes a nice Manatee habitat. I would suggest paying a visit there if you have not already.

soaringfalcon2
03/11/2005, 09:45 PM
I would agree, the exhibit at the Cleveland zoo is passable. Rather disappointing after you've been to the displays at other zoos.

As VoidRaven mentioned, the Columbus zoo has a great display. The PPG Aquarium at the Pittsburgh zoo is excellent! Great mixture of fresh and salt displays as well as a two story tank.

agoutihead
03/12/2005, 12:03 AM
what is a really super nice exhibt that would be worth taking a drive to, remember i live in cleveland. the best place for just salt water?? im not into fresh water at all. thanks!

sde219
03/12/2005, 12:32 AM
Well, with most public aquariums you are going to have a good number of freshwater displays. All of the ones within driving distance of Cleveland are probably gonna be split displays.

Super nice exhibits can be found at Monterey Bay Aquarium and Waikiki Aquarium. I've also thought that Shedd Aquarium (Chicago), the National Aquarium (the one in Baltimore, not the crappy one under the Department of Commerce in DC), Pittsburgh Aquarium, and the New England Aquarium (Boston) were very good public aquariums. In nearly every case, a sizable portion of the aquarium is devoted to regional, North American, and Amazonia freshwater displays. It's just the way it goes so unfortunately even the most impressive public aquariums - Monterey and Waikiki, not withstanding - don't actually have that many tanks or displays of saltwater systems or frankly variety. In the end frankly, I find seeing the tanks of local reefers too be more impressive unless a few stingrays, nurse sharks, or large tangs are what you are looking for.

Ask around and I bet a few guys on here will give you a nice tank tour!

Buckeye ME
03/12/2005, 11:43 AM
I just visited the Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach a couple weeks ago. VERY impressive but VERY expensive. $17!!

soaringfalcon2
03/12/2005, 10:45 PM
IMHO, the PPG Aquarium at the Pitt. zoo has very good SW displays. Here's a link that describes some of the major exhibits:

http://www.pittsburghzoo.com/aquarium.asp

They also have a great collection of sea dragons in giant cylinder aquarium when you first walk in.

If you ever find yourself in CA, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is top notch. They're keeping a Great White in captivity now, the only aquarium to do so.

VoidRaven
03/13/2005, 09:35 AM
I'll agree with Buckeye ME...I just visited Ripley's Aquarium last summer and will be there again this June. It is probably the best diversity I've seen in a "public" aquarium (privately run) but it is very expensive. They have a nice Anthias tank, a huge tank called the "Rainbow Reef" if I remember right that has a whole bunch of larger fish, a "walkthrough" tank with sharks, morays, etc., a jellyfish tank, a sea dragon tank, and an anenome tank. Not too bad really.

I'll have to remember to check out the PPG aquarium some day soon too. I hear Vancouver has a very nice exhibit as well.

Bowman
03/13/2005, 10:09 AM
C-SEA did a trip to the Newport Aquarium in Cincinatti a couple of years back. It is only 4 hours drive and is a nice aquarium. Worth considering. JJ

lawdog
03/14/2005, 10:45 AM
If your ever in Tampa FL take a look at there new public aquarium.... Awesome!!!

prezioso73
03/14/2005, 07:43 PM
You may want to take a trip to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. We went there just to see it (about a 3-4 hour drive) and it was really worth it!

shawnz28
03/14/2005, 11:07 PM
I can't imagine many places having a display much better than the Shedd in Chicago. When we went we only got to spend a few hours there but I could have spent much of the day there easy. Also on the same pier is the History Museum and Planatarium. I hope to go back soon and visit all three

StanD
03/15/2005, 10:00 PM
Having lived in Chicago for a few years I must agree with Shawnz28, the Shedd and surrounding intellectual places is awesome. I also agree with JJ that the Newport Aquarium is prety neat, especially if you can get a behind the scenes tour as C-SEA did a couple of years back.
I also recently had the opportunity to see the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. Absolutely the best hard/soft coral tank I have ever seen was their Palau tank. Stunning color and morphology of both hard and soft corals.

VoidRaven
03/17/2005, 03:46 PM
You know...I was just thinking...Atlanta is building a brand new aquarium. Should be finsihed either this year or by Sprign 2006. Something to keep an eye on.