PDA

View Full Version : Sick Tomato Clown

purplerose
09/01/2000, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone, I am a new person to the Salt Water Tank systems, and have a problem with one of my Tomato Clowns. My Tank is as follows:
4ft tank, 4ft U/G filter, 2 x 800PH Rio Powerheads, 25kg Coral Sand, reflector with Acardia Marine Light, 200wt Visi-thermo Heater. one piece of live rock approx 5kgs and another smaller piece 2kgs, with a small soft coral on it. Fish are 1 Bi-Colour angel, 1 Vagabond these fish are about 9 - 10cms approx, 1 lemon damsel, 1 two spot damsel, 1 cleaner wrasse, and 2 medium tomato clowns. I have just done a 20% water change as the salt levels where a bit too high had to do approx 25ltrs salt and approx 20ltrs of aged freshwater..All the levels are are spot on. No problem there, the temp is currently held at 24/25. But prior to water change noticed that the larger clown had this white milky skin forming on the left side of her. Since placing her into the tank i also notice she would do little spins against the tank. Slowly of the last two days this white milky growth has become a little bigger. To my horror when coming home last night its now covering her eye and most of her left side with a few hangy bits and it has started on the right side now. If anyone could advise me I would greatly appreciate it. And is this going to indanger my other fish. Also the cleaner wrasse hasn't gone anywhere near this clown, and the clown is still eating as per normal.
Thank you...

billsreef
09/02/2000, 05:03 AM
Hi and Welcome to RC
Unfortunately it sounds like your clown as a case of Brooklynella. This in a protozoan parasite that is common in clowns. The best treatment is to administer formalin baths and keep the clown in a quarantine tank for untill cured. The formalin bath is usually mixed at 1 ml formalin in 3.8litres of sea water. The bath duration should be no more than 1hr and the clown constantly monitored for stress, which if severe will necesitate an early end to the bath.

Your temps are a little low IMO. Typical reef temps are 27 to 30C. Many of us are now leaning towards keeping our fish and corals at natural reef temps and salinities (1.025) as opposed to the low temps and low salinities in much of the literature. Do some searches on some of the boards on temp and salinity to see some of the discussions, some might even be in the RC archives.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784