PDA

View Full Version : How am I suppose to feed the fishes?

waypoint
03/10/2005, 07:50 PM
Are you suppose to turn the pumps off when feeding? I can't imagine successfully spot feeding anything. If its flakes, they get whisked away as soon as they hit the water surface on down the overflow. I tried to submerge the food, but as soon as I let it go, everything is blown to all over the place. There then looks like little specs of food chunk all over the water column. Is there a proper way to feed the fish and cleaners?

Thanks.

Data
03/10/2005, 08:22 PM
I don't have any fish in my tank yet, but I'll be moving my first out of 5 weeks qt by early next week and intend to feed it the same as I feed my inverts.
I drop the food into the return of my sump and the pump blows it nicely into the tank where it is distributed all over in no time.

this also works very nicely to have some time to spot feed my rbta without worrying someone steeling it's food, since the crabs and shrimps are all busys going after the food that just came through the return pipe.

Hoggn
03/10/2005, 08:29 PM
I turn all my pumps off during feeding time...

AJP
03/10/2005, 08:35 PM
The ocean doesn't shut off on the reef, so I don't shut any pumps off. I do feed a frozen mix though and only a tiny amount of formula 2 pellets. Most of my fish no what the food dish looks like and are trying to get it before it makes it in the tank.

Neurosis
03/10/2005, 08:41 PM
I don't feed flakes for the reason that they float. I've done frozen and pellets. What I do is use a small tupperware like cup for the tank only, put the food in there, add tank water, and use a turkey baster (again, only for the tank) and target feed the fish. IME, there's less waste.