PDA

View Full Version : brown algae, protein skimmer going crazy

gusto1
03/10/2005, 06:20 PM
Hello,
I came home today and had alot of brown algae, I noticed it alittle yesterday,
I'm also using a seaclone skimmer ( I do have a etss red devil, but I'm waiting to finish the plumbing in my sump, almost done). the skimmer hasn't been working wonderful, so I twicked it last night and when I came home from work today, it skimmed so much the collection cup was overflowing. could not skimming properly be the cause of my brown algae. it's mainly on the sand and some other green hair algae that I have.

I'm working as fast as I can to get my sump/ refugium up, it will be up and running this weekend.

Scuba Oz
03/10/2005, 06:53 PM
sounds like the skimmer just is not working that well, you adjusted the air flow too much and the thing is mostly full of water.

How old is this tank? Sounds like typical brown algea that comes and goes with a new tank

gusto1
03/10/2005, 07:11 PM
your right the foam is more liquidity then usual, the tank is only 3 months old.

Scuba Oz
03/10/2005, 07:34 PM
sounds like a cycle of algea that should pass with regular water changes and a "good" skimmer. Are you keeping the seaclone or getting another one?

gusto1
03/10/2005, 08:51 PM
I already have an ETSS Red Devil, I'm just in the process of doing the plumbing to my sump. Then I can set it up in the sump. I hope to finish it on friday let the PVC cure till saturday and start up my sump.

Thank You