PDA

View Full Version : Need top off system fast

doody
03/10/2005, 03:06 PM
I'm going to Myrte Beach next Sat. for a week. So I need a top off system quick. Shipping could take too long. So I am trying the Ohio forums. Please do not delet this post.

Paul B
03/10/2005, 03:20 PM
That is easy. For years I justm used one of those 5 gallon water cooler bottles. Just get a piece of plyood that is wide enough to span the tank on one side and cut a round hole in it about 3".
Invert the bottle over the hole and you may have to put spacers under the wood to keep the mouth of the bottle just at the water surface. When You have that adjusted, fill up the bottle and invert it over the tank on the plywood. I used this for many years when I went on vacation until I built my top off system. It works better if you put a cap on the bottle and drill a 1/2" hole in the cap. The water will stay at the same height until the 5 gallons is used up.
It's ugly, but you won't be there to see it.
Paul

doody
03/10/2005, 03:37 PM
Not to sure I understand

djcool563
03/10/2005, 03:58 PM
the water presure should keep the water in the 5g bottle shouldnt it and when the water gets to low it just lets some out. am i right paul?

djcool563
03/10/2005, 04:00 PM
http://saltycritter.com/waterlevel.htm are either of these what your looking for?

Paul B
03/10/2005, 05:41 PM
the water presure should keep the water in the 5g bottle shouldnt it and when the water gets to low it just lets some out. am i right paul?
That is correct. You asked for a quick fix, of course you don't want to keep this thing on your tank but for vacations it is great. It works just like a water cooler. When thenwater level gets low it feeds water into the tank. Just make the neck of the bottle even with the water. Use a strong enough piece of plywood, water is heavy. In the meantime order whatever permanent system you want in the future.
Have fun on vacation.
Paul

doody
03/11/2005, 11:02 AM
I just figured I can use a drip method but need to figure drip rate.

Paul B
03/11/2005, 12:58 PM
You can use a drip method but you will not get an accurate drip. My 6' long reef evaporates about one drop every 5 seconds but it is very dependant on temperature and humidity.
Paul

doody
03/11/2005, 01:49 PM
Well, concidering it's winter and the house environment is pretty consistent. It should'nt be too bad, (I don't think). What I'm gonna do is make sure my tank is full and in 24hrs calculate how much evaporation I lost then I'll set up a drip system (into an empty container) and try to match that up. Remember this is only a temp job. Think I'm on the right track?

lawdog
03/11/2005, 02:47 PM
just pick up a float valve and a ten gallon tank. fill tank, use an old powerhead and splice the float valve into it. Attach hose to PH and place in ten gallon top off tank with hose going into tank or sump with float valve in tank sump... when water level drops the float valve will kick on the PH and pump water into tank until the level raises to float the valve and kick the PH off....

very simple, very quick, and could be long term solution... I have used this on my 120 gallon very succesfully for the last year or so. It is just like a 3 dollar float valve switch... I think Aqua Tech and Salty Critter sells them

doody
03/13/2005, 07:02 PM
Guy at californiareefs agreed to overnight one to me, So I'm all good. Thanks for all the help.