PDA

View Full Version : rock work support

1package
03/10/2005, 02:06 PM
I was looking for a way to hold some of my rockwork together to create ledges and overhangs. I currently use a PVC frame and plastic cable ties to support my rockwork.

I was considering drilling holes in a couple of rocks and inserting some type of nylon or other tube and aqua mend the base. This is just an idea, not looking to re-invent the wheel.

Any suggestions?

Big Boy69
03/10/2005, 02:16 PM
Under water epoxy.

1package
03/10/2005, 02:36 PM
The aqua mend is an underwater epoxy but to get it to support a ledge, it would have to be supported for a very long time I suspect. Plus, I should have mentioned that I am talking about live rock and reef bones. I would not want to leave the live rock out of the water for hours at a time to cure an epoxy...........unless that would be no issue.

redpyro
03/10/2005, 02:50 PM
a few people drill hole and use pieces of plastic clothes hangers

zachattack
03/10/2005, 04:05 PM
I actually went through the same process a few months ago when I was "aquascaping" my setup. I have a tall but narrow acrylic tank so I had to get creative to make supported vertical structures that would not touch (scratch) any surfaces.

First, I found that unless the rock is dry and has rough texture, that epoxy didn't do the job, especially with live rock. Instead you can use acrylic, polycarbonate, etc. rods, which are available online at industrial plastic suppliers very cheap. I got polycarbonate rods (lexan) from indplastic.com. I ended up using black rods which are very hard to spot in the tank. I also bought a nice long masonry bit. Both the bit and the rod were 5/16 inch diameter, but you may want to go thicker if you need the extra strength. I drilled all the pieces and placed the large base rock on the bottom and stacked the rest on top. Also, I made "branches" which is what it seems you are interested in doing. You can drill horizontal holes in the rocks and insert and epoxy the rod then stick the drilled ledge rocks on the rod.

I'm a new member so I don't know how to post a picture, but if I figure it out I'll do it.

good luck,
Zach

1package
03/10/2005, 04:30 PM
Zach,

I appreciate the input. This was just about exactly what I was thinking. The aqua mend never seems to work well on wet rock but when I drill out a hole, insert it and then fill the hole with an LPS such as frogspawn or a torch it sets up like cement.

I was actually considering what type plastic to use.

I appreciate the link.

thanks again.