PDA

View Full Version : need help setting up cpr skimmer.

bluenassarius
03/10/2005, 10:27 AM
so i bought a tank last night... it was real late and we were trying to move everything as fast as possible last night. i didn't really pay attention on how the tubes were plugged in -- now i'm stuck with all these tubes i don't really know where to fit in... -- can someone please help! the people i bought it from paid someone to set it up for them so they don't know how it was set up.

Dexter1334
03/10/2005, 10:48 AM
Try the directions, or the manufacturers website for pictures and instructions. But basically they are all set up the same way.

A pump that pumps water to the bottom of a tall tube with a collection cup at the top and an air tube that draws air into the bottom of the water tube in the skimmer.

The pump pumps water into the bottom of the tube and there is usually a 1/4 inch hose with some sort of valve to control how much air gets sucked in. My hang on CPR has a submersable power head, a twist lock for the intake tube at top and bottom, and pours the water back into the tank from the top of the skimmer where it hangs on the tank.

The pump is inside the tank, attached to a clear S tube which then goes to the bottom of the skimmer outside the tank. The S tube is connected with twist locks.

The airline hangs outside the tank and the valve is adjusted so you get a nice column of small bubbles in the skimmer. I adjust the intake of air to get the smallest bubbles while still maintaining a nice column of aerated water. Trial and error will find the best mix for your skimmer. ( The airline will get clogged occasionally over time, so a good rinse with hot water once in a while is suggested)

Hope this helps.

sfsuphysics
03/10/2005, 01:26 PM
What type of CPR skimmer? bak pak? if so let me know I have one on a tank and can hopefully help you get through things.

GreshamH
03/10/2005, 01:54 PM
I've used every CPR skimmer, except their newest one. Like Mike said, what model we looking at?

shilo_1
03/10/2005, 02:00 PM
If its just the HOB, hang it on the back, get it level (adjust the screws on the bottom that push it away or closer to the tank), attach PH (or rio pump, or whatever...), put some tank water in (makes if fill alot quicker) and plug it in. Should be good to go.
From there you just need to keep an eye on the cup to raise or drop it depending on how much skimmate it produces...