PDA

View Full Version : MOUTH FUNGUS tang not eating

Steelers1
03/09/2005, 12:11 PM
Hi. Any advice as to what white coloring around the mouth on the under belly, and cloudy in one of my purple tangs eye may be? He had just been treated with Primafix and melafix for 7 days and his symptoms went away for five days and now they are back. Do I re-start the Melfix, Primafix treatment? I did perform water readings and found that my ammonia has decreased but still remains at .1ppm down from .3ppm. I cannot seem to find what has caused this ammonia spike. I must go in and search my tank of 12 years. My other fish two fish maroon clown-11 years,a nd engineer goby-5 years, and inverts and corals are all doing fine. My Purple tang of 11 months appears to have had problems which started about a month ago.

HELP?????????????????????????? :(

Jeffie
03/09/2005, 03:38 PM
Sounds like it could be related to your water quality issues and not a disease. Can you post a pic of him? Keep performing water changes to get your ammonia down and I would think that your fish would come around by himself. Is he still acting normal? eating normal? etc. etc? If so I would just continue with water changes until your water is up to par and diagnos from there.

Steelers1
03/10/2005, 08:04 AM
A SAD DAY. CAME home yesterday and found the Purple tang barely breathing, he died within two hours of coming home. What a strange way. My other two fish, all inverts, and all corals thriving and my Purple tang of 12 months died. After treating him for over a month and after eating hardily two days before, so quick to die is really heartbreaking. The day before he died he has noticealbe white ring around his mouth and did not eat. Then today he was lying on his side.
His stomach was extended and white, and the worms in the sand bed were taken care of him as I arrived home.

RBU1
03/10/2005, 08:15 PM
SORRY to hear it Steelers. THAT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!! Did you find anything that could have caused it?

Steelers1
03/12/2005, 01:42 PM
RBU1,

Thanks. I am not sure. It appears that over about a month's time the PTang was fighting off a variety of things in my tank.
1) Ammonia somehow shot up to .3ppm, thus began his decline, I did all of the diligence I could to reduct the Ammonia.
2) The Ammonia Burn reduced his immunity and he picked up I think an internal bacterial infection.
3) I again treated it with what I thought would be best Combo of Melfix, Primafix for a full7 days.
4) During treatment he appeared stronger everyday.
5) After say 7 I began remvoing the medication using water changes and skimming the crap out of my water.
6) Two days later ewating like a horse again, on nori, tank algae and anything Iwould add.
7) Two days later, stop eating for the one day.
8) NExt day, white ring around his mouth and swollen underbelly also white.
9) Next day, Next Damn Day, dead....
1) 12 months in my 12 years old establihsed tank, and it dies as my othert wo older fish, and inverts, and corals trive.
Do you have an opinion that I could understand as to what I did wrong????