PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

fishers53
03/09/2005, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone.
I have a 55 gallon fish only tank, I would love to get started on a nice reef setup. The tank has been running for about 6 months, I have 6 damsels, a cardinal, 10 hermit crabs, a peppermint shrimp, a perculia clown, and one candy lactus anemone. I have an aqua tech 30-60 hang-on filter that came with the tank, and I bought an aqua clear 70 power head with an undergravel filter (stupid). The guy at petco insisted that I absolutely must buy an undergravel filter. I took it out a couple of months ago after reading many articles that said they were no good for a marine aquarium. Now my power head is just hooked up to a cheap in line filter. I am using crushed coral as substrate, and I have about 50 lbs of reef rock (the cheap stuff). I don't have a protien skimmer, and the lighting isn't the best. My set up seems to be working nicely for fish, the basic water parameters are good, I haven't lost a single fish since the first month when I lost two during cycling, my anemone seems to be smaller than when I bought him 3 months ago, it probably needs stronger lighting. The algae was getting a little out of hand, I gave the tank a major overhaul last week, now there is none. I guess I shouldn't have removed all of it, but I'm sure it will come back fairly quickly. Anyway, I'd like to get started with a reef setup. I'm a college student raising a child, I want to do things as cheaply as possible. I have about $100 I can spend now, and I can spend probably $50 a month or so after that. I'll have the tank for many many years, so I have no problems building it up very slowly. What I want to do for right now is get started on the right tank environment for some really cool stuff in the future. I don't want to buy any corals until the tank is ready. Should a protien skimmer be my top priority? Can I use the power head with a protien skimmer somehow, so I can buy one without a pump? How much should I spend on lighting? Should I buy live rock? Should I replace the crushed coral with sand? Is "live sand" a waste of money? Do I really need to set up a sump? What else should I do that I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance for your help, a lot of you really know your stuff, I'm sure I'll get some good advice. I'm tired of asking pet store people, they just try to sell me stuff I don't need.
-Aaron

Scuba Oz
03/09/2005, 11:09 AM
first thing I would buy would be a good skimmer. A CPR BakPak or a Remora pro. Should look in the sellin or buying forum, you might get one for around 100

Entropy
03/09/2005, 11:12 AM
[welcome]

I think your best bet Aaron is to save your money for at least a couple of months and spend some considerable time reading about what you plan to keep. The first thing I would plan for would be better lighting. You will need about $150 to get a good VHO setup (2x110w). You also will need a good quality skimmer IMO, and that will set you back at least $200 (used). I think it would be best to have all the equipment available before you start adding any corals.

stelow
03/09/2005, 11:13 AM
Aaron
[welcome]
You need to decide what you will want to keep in your reef. An example would be a soft coral reef tank. This type of reef tank is not as demanding as say a clam or stoney coral setup.

Mr.Maska
03/09/2005, 11:20 AM
you might want to try ebay or post something here to buy used stuff. You should get skimmer asap in my opinion. I had a remora on my 55 gallon and i loved it. good luck

fishers53
03/09/2005, 11:34 AM
Wow 3 replies in 10 minutes! This site is great! I've learned more on this site in one week than I have in the past 6 months from books I wasted money on.

cougaraug
03/09/2005, 11:45 AM
I'm in pretty much the exact same situation- college with a family. I saved up, and kept my eyes open in the selling forums. Now I have a 75Gal w/ stand, remora pro w/ Mag 3, 6X54 T5s, an RO/DI, plus all the little crap, and I'm only out $500 for the whole setup.
Just take your time, and when a deal comes along, snap it up.