PDA

View Full Version : New tank

Bnelson
03/09/2005, 04:00 AM
Hi everyone. The time is coming for a new tank and I would like to do some really cool stuff.
What I have is a 46 bow with external overflow and 20 gallon sump. Pretty basic.
What I want is a 90 to 110 gallon. I really want to include a closed loup, so that means that the tank will probably have to be acrylic, but I think I would like to give an acrylic tank a try so that is not a problem. If I could, it would be nice to have the overflow on the back of the tank to make for more room but I could really use suggestions on where to look for the tank on the net and any help would be greatly appreciated.
As far as the stand goes, I will be building it myself and have some realy cool ideas. I will also build the skimmer, calcium reactor, sump, and maybe a few other goodies.
Inhabitants will include SPS mainly, and maybe a clam or two and of course a few choice fish, crustations and other interesting critters. I would like to stick to CF or T5 lighting but I know that everyone is going to say get halides, halides work best, halides are mans best friend. Yeah they are nice, and maybe one or two but I would really like to stay away from like 300000 magawats of halides. Although I think that one or two low wattage halides to suplement the flourescent lights would look cool. So what lights???

Right now I pretty much could use suggestions for the tank, thats a good start. Thanks again for the help.:o :rollface:

kirei
03/09/2005, 04:27 AM
Well if you do go with halides the rule is 2 feet L*W per halide and then the depth of penetration is dependant on the wattage 24" is 250w, anything deeper would be a 400w. T5s are definately dooable, however I would be careful because you may not save that much in electicity, though definately in heat, and arguable on bulb life. I believe that the 4 foot long t5s are 54w each, and to keep SPS I think you would end up running about 8 of these, some 10ks and some actinics I think would be best, so that ends up being 432w of lighting. You could probably get away with 2 250w DE MH and then some VHO supplements, you will use more energy, but not a huge about (not in the gajillion range anyways :-) ). I think T5s have great potential, but the important thing is to remember that they don't necessarily penetrate as deep as some MHs, but they are not point source so you don't have to worry about shading. If you want to keep SPS and you are going to build your own skimmer be careful simply because of the demands an SPS tank will put on your skimmer. Think about adding a refugium as well, this will act as a useful buffer. I have a 65 with a 30 sump I am running 2 250W DE, and I am thinking of adding some VHO actinic, I think my lighting is a bit overkill, but I do know some who would say that it isn't enough... such is this hobby I suppose. In short I say halides, but if not, you can definately run T5s, the TOTM is run off of T5s so it is definately do-able, just make sure you get the best reflectors, and stay away from CFs, I had a 130w CF fixture on a 20long and the lighting wasn't good enough.

Bnelson
03/09/2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info, but what are DE metal halides? And where is a good place to start looking on the net? Also, if anyone could help with the tank search I will be your best friend. :)