PDA

View Full Version : ARO Ballast Question - replacement bulbs

shocksta
03/07/2005, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted here... I've got a 29g tank and am running 2 ARO ballasts that I got from HelloLights (http://www.hellolights.com/2xbalkit.html). I've had them for about a year and it is time for me to replace the bulbs... so I've got a few questions.

1.) I seem to recall seeing something awhile ago about these ballasts able to run 65w bulbs instead of just the 55w... is this true?

2.) Currently, I have 2 10k and 2 03 Actinics running and am wondering what combination I should replace these with? Replace with same setup - 2 10k + 2 03? or 2 03, 1 50/50, 1 10k? etc etc. I currently have an ocellaris clown and his BTA along with a cleanup crew (astrea, turbos, emeralds, bristleworms, nassarius snails, etc etc). I'm wanting to add some zoo's, polyps, xenia if possible - so keep that in mind for the lighting.

3.) Is there an online retailer that is typically best for attaining these replacement bulbs - in regard to both quality and price.

4.) I also seem to recall that it is best to replace these things over time - say 1 bulb every few weeks instead of all 4 bulbs at once... so as not to alter the environment too quickly. Is this true?? If so, what is the best schedule for this?

I think that is it for now. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!

mygreengoldfish
03/11/2005, 09:02 PM
1) I would just run the 55watt bulbs and not risk voiding any possible warranty or making a possible fire hazard.
2) Choose whatever light combination you want because they have little effect on the difference in growth of your tank inhabitants. Choose what you find most visually appealing.
3) I like www.marinedepot.com . They have very good prices, quick delivery and pack bulbs well. Mine were delivered in a cardboard covering, covered in bubble wrap and in a box full a styro foam peanuts.
4) True, replacing the bulbs one by one is less stressful on tank inhabitants. I would think one light bulb every day would be slow enough in your situation.

good luck