PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime Algae

FishPhreak
03/07/2005, 03:00 PM
I am having what I would consider to be a bad problem with cyano.

I have at it to some extent since my tank has been up (1 year).
But it continues to get worse. At this point I would say that it covering about 1/3 on my cc substrate in the front of the tank. It is not visible on my LR or Corals, just the substrate.

My tank reading are:

Temp:79
SG: 1.024
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20 (doing water changes to bring them down)
Alk 8 KH
Calcium 420

I have a 29 gallon tank with LR and CC substrate.
Seaclone 100 protein skimmer
2 power heads
Jebo 2x55 watt pc light (using hamilton bulbs)
60 gallon power filter with carbon plates

Tank Inhabitants:
1 black cap damsel
1 domino damsel
1 yellow tail blue damsel

1 green open brain coral
1 frogspawn
1 pipe organ coral
6 ricordea mushrooms

This is what I have tried to remedy the situation:

I only use RO water

Feed fish daily (only what they are able to consume in under 5 minutes)

Protien Skimming (SeaClone 100)

frequent water changes (10% weekly)
I have also done 2 50% water changes because of high nitrates which are down now.

60 gallon power filter with carbon plates (change plates monthly)

2 power heads. One is a Maxi-Jet 400. I don't recall what the other PH is.

I cut lighting to 8 hours per day and replaced my bulbs.
(2x55 watt PCs)

I have tried removing the cyano manually. It is back just as bad as it was before within 24 hours.

I am unable to vacuum the substrate because the cc is very fine, like sand.

I have used Chemi-Clean once before with no success. I don't really want to use chemicals again. I would much rather find the cause of the problem and correct it.

I also have a glass canopy. Would it be possible that it might be part of the problem? Could it be distorting the spectrum of the light or something like that?

I am not really looking for a cure all solution to the problem, just something to help me keep it under control until I am able to set up the better tank with better equipment.

At this point I don't know else to do. I am unable to upgrade my equipment because I am in the process of upgrading to a 75 gallon overflow tank that should be ready in approx 2 months.
I believe the 75 gallon should be more than adaquate. And I believe I have chosen quality equipment for that set up...I just haven't bought it all yet.

I would greatly apperciate any advice or suggestions,
Jessica

H2OLUVSME
03/07/2005, 03:17 PM
Jaessica,

what size powerheads do you have? and where are they?

i think the most common cases for cyano are excess nutrients and lack of water flow. it sounds like you are getting the nutrients in control.

also your carbon may be the problem. some one can correct me if im wrong, but i think carbon gets saturated within a week or so (ive heard 2weeks, but ive also heard 4 days) which is why i dont run it unless there is some problem in the tank. it could be leaking nasties back into the tank. see if you can get more flow to the SB and try repacing your carbon weekly for a little while, and see if that helps.

FishPhreak
03/07/2005, 03:41 PM
I have a maxi jet 400 (106gph) and something else I can't remember what brand or what the flow on it is. I have a ph on each side of the tank in the back.

What I was going by to check flow what just make sure everything that can sway is swaying. So far everying that can move is moving.

I was using the carbon because i had high nitrates but I guess I can try taking them out now since the nitrates are down to 20.
I am still trying water changes to bring them down further.

Thanks,
Jessica

H2OLUVSME
03/07/2005, 03:44 PM
well the carbon wont help you much with nitrates anyway, so if that is the only reason you were using it, i wouldnt any more. are the powerheads aimed at each other along the back wall, or are they aimed at the front glass? do you have any corals that sway on the SB?

FishPhreak
03/07/2005, 03:48 PM
Both phs are aimed at the center of the front glass.

I have a pipe organ coral on the substrate that is swaying in the current.

I can try removing the carbon.

Thanks again,
Jessica

ratziel
03/07/2005, 05:13 PM
Crushed coral substrates are known to trap detritus and become nitrate sources. I'm having problems with red cyno myself except I think the problem is my deep sand bed of suger fine aragonite that is about two years old. It is about to fill some holes in my driveway. :rolleyes:

FishPhreak
03/12/2005, 10:14 AM
Just an update in case anyone was interested.

I have removed the carbon from the filter. So now the power filter is just moving water and not actually filtering it.

I also started replacing the cc in the front 1/3 of the tank where is cyano is with ls.

I hear it isn't a good idea to mix cc and ls but I did not add the ls on top of cc but removed the cc and replaced it with ls but just in the front of the tank. Hopefully that will help keep the cyano under control for about 2 more months until my 75 is ready.

Thanks again,
Jessica

H2OLUVSME
03/12/2005, 10:40 AM
what type of LS is it? i dont see a problem with adding LS and CC. actually most of the real LS ive seen (not that wet bacteria sand) has been more like CC tha nfine crade sand. JMO.

i hope it helps out some.

FishPhreak
03/12/2005, 10:57 AM
I really don't know. The LFS had it in open bags in one of their tanks.

Thanks for the reply, I just didn't want to spend tons of money replacing all of my substrate just to throw it all away in about 2 months. Not to mention that every time I have to spend money on this tank the 75 gets put off a little longer.

Thanks again,
Jessica

H2OLUVSME
03/12/2005, 12:34 PM
Jessica, try moving one of your powerheads to the end of the tank and face it across the tank close to the bottom. if you have a lot of flow the cyano wont grow. that may be the cheapest route for you. keep saving youll really like the 75.

if its large grade sand i think mixing it with your CC would be ideal.

godfathers10
03/12/2005, 01:28 PM
i was also wondering about about changing out some substrate.

at start i mixed cc and a white sugar sand [not live] that i found at petco.
at first this was beautiful but now its a nasty brown and i too have a cyano problem.
i was wondering if the substrate change would cause a major problem.:confused: