PDA

View Full Version : How to move flame scallop?

browndog
03/07/2005, 01:02 PM
Got a new flame scallop, just moved it from the quarrentine tank to the 55 gal tank this weekend. It immediately jumped into the conch shell that my clownfish has been hosting for over a year! The clown is beside himself. He doesn't know what to do.

How do I get the scallop to move? I tried gently shaking and tapping the shell to get him to fall out, but he just opens up more to hold himself in.

Thinking about shooting a powerhead at him tonight, any thoughts or other suggestions?

km133688
03/07/2005, 11:51 PM
These guys have a "foot" they use to attach to things. If he is attached and not easily accessible, you won't get him out by force. I usually wait. They jump around the tank once in a while. You might also put a powerhead directly on the guy. This worked for me to make a BTA move. But, this could also backfire on an oyster by making it stay closed so don' t blame me.

good luck, I say just wait for it to move.

McBeck
03/08/2005, 01:39 AM
patience is a virtue... :)

If he doesn't move on your (or your clown's) timetable, can you get a similar shell from the LFS?

browndog
03/08/2005, 09:21 AM
Nearest LFS is hour and a half away - easier for mail order!

Anyway, I managed to move him yesterday. Started out with good intentions (the powerhead just made him retract further into the shell). Then I got frustrated and poked at him a bit to get him to close so I didn't get pinched, then stuck my fingers in and wiggled until he let go with his foot.

Put him back into the tank, and he opened up again within 5 minutes. Woke up this morning, and he had moved all the way across the tank, so he appears to be no worse for the wear.

The clown is happy as can be now that he has his shell back!

Thanks for the advice!