PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned

loup
03/07/2005, 12:28 PM
don't use damsel to cycle, if you do, take them out before adding other fishs/inverts. My damsel went on a killing rampage this weekend. Killed 2 fire shrimp, 2 peppermint, 2 fire gobies. I had 2 false clown with the damsel for over a week and the they got a long fine. But when i added the new crew, they were constantly being picked on and eventually KO. So I tore the whole tank apart to catch the damsel. Finally caught after 3o minutes of hard work. Was going to sentence him to death but i just ended up donating him to the LFS. One good thing came out of this, I like the new arrangement of the live rock and my clowns and skunk cleaner shrimp couldn't be much happier.

Expensive lesson learn. Sorry, just wanted to rant.

guyguerra
03/07/2005, 09:23 PM
That's funny. I had almost the same experience. I didn't try to put any other fish in untill I got the 12 damsels out, but I had to tear the tank completly apart. It bothered me until I put the rock back in. It was a lot better, so, just like your's mine went back to the store for the next victim. I've avoided aggressive fish ever since. I've got 12 fish that get along 7 days a week now. :)

giarcrekrap
03/07/2005, 09:51 PM
The only place for Damsels IMHO is in a QT tank while it waits for new arrivals...when they get there, the Damsels go into a holding case.

joseney21
03/08/2005, 02:32 AM
i like that idea giarcrekrap, maybe i'll do that with my QT

pfbrussels
03/08/2005, 05:10 PM
As a completely uneducated newbie, my LFS sold me a Domino Damsel, a Clarkii Clown and a Blue Damsel within a day of each other... needless to say, the two that lived went back for a full refund after I tore the tank apart to catch them. Now I research everything thoroughly before it goes in! No "Oh, it's sooo cute - I'll take it" without knowing all about it first!!!

ich_commando
03/08/2005, 05:42 PM
If you use yellow tails...you wont have that problem. They are pretty docile. And might I add, great hair algae consumers!

ledford1
03/08/2005, 05:47 PM
Chromis are very nice as well.

Stevan
03/08/2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ich_commando
If you use yellow tails...you wont have that problem. They are pretty docile. And might I add, great hair algae consumers!

Really...

I'll have to let my Yellowtail Blue Damsel see your post. He obviously hasn't read this yet because:

He fights and chases other fish.

He doesn't eat algae, but will steal food from a plate coral.

It uses its tail like a fan to dig caves under my rocks.

Interesting behavior, if you want a 1 fish tank.

bluenassarius
03/08/2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by pfbrussels
As a completely uneducated newbie, my LFS sold me a Domino Damsel, a Clarkii Clown and a Blue Damsel within a day of each other... needless to say, the two that lived went back for a full refund after I tore the tank apart to catch them. Now I research everything thoroughly before it goes in! No "Oh, it's sooo cute - I'll take it" without knowing all about it first!!!

i have 3 fire shrimps and 2 cleaners in a 10gallon tank!! hahaha
the fire shrimps always fight and are missing arms

Scuba Oz
03/08/2005, 06:19 PM
chromis are a lot better, and they dont act like 10 year olds:):) Glad you got them out and took them back. FYI chromis like odd numbers for some reason. I was told to buy 3-5-7 ect.