PDA

View Full Version : Lasseration in dorsal fin

Russel
03/07/2005, 07:19 AM
I have a blue angel that has a clean cut apx 1/2" in his dorsal fin. the culprit would be a yellow tang. These two fish are usually not hostile towards one another.

My main concern is if this cut will seal back together, looking for some feedback on others that may have had something similar happen.

WaterKeeper
03/07/2005, 12:19 PM
Hi Russel,

The main problem with any injury is the risk of infection. Fortunately fin injuries are far less prone to this than body wounds. The fin should heal fine although there is usually minor scaring without any treatment. Any sign of infection can be treated in a hospital tank using antibiotics. I wouldn't do that unless there is clear indication of such infection.

JonnyD91
03/07/2005, 12:21 PM
I got a clown online that was pretty beat up had alot of nipping at his fins wasnt eating couldnt swim. I treated him with melafix and he is doing alot better now. I can even see where the fins have grown back over 1 week. Im pretty sure it is reef safe too.

Russel
03/07/2005, 10:44 PM
WaterKeeper thats music to my ears!!

What would be the signs of infection? and if so, what antibotic would you recomend? Does this happen often to angels?

JonnyD91 I have seen several marron, tomato clowns that went at it. those fish did heal, the scaring was not visible.

Russel
03/10/2005, 10:07 AM
two days after his fin was cut it had healed about 1/2 shut. there is a darker line where it was cut. Right now it only has about 1 cm left before its completely healed shut.