PDA

View Full Version : hair algae

nemesis2a
03/07/2005, 12:22 AM
I have recently noticed green hair algae growing on my live rock. Also I see what appears to be oxygen bubbles on the rock. Someone told me the bubbles are comming from the algae. Any ideas?
My tank is 77gal reef. I do weekly 10gal water changes using R/O water, skimmer running, halide and compact on timer 12hrs.

izzy_real
03/07/2005, 05:30 PM
Green hair algae is caused by two things, phosphates, and nitrate. If you use RO water, then the phosphates are coming from another source, like flake food. If you skimmer is not bubbly enough, and/or you're over feeding, then your nitrates are busting the meter too. Some people use refugiums with different types of macro algae, and mangrove trees to bring nitrates and phosphates down. However, it's sometimes a slow process, and introuducing mangroves to a system can shock the tree itself, not to mention crazy root patterns that these things can grow!

If your not afraid to use chemicals in your tank, pick up some PHOS buster pro. It's pretty good stuff. This is a band aid fix, though, find he root of your phosphates, and nitrates, and you'll cut your hair algae down fast. You also might try cutting your lights back a little.

I hope that helps!

Izzy