PDA

View Full Version : distance from wall???

jennmac415
03/07/2005, 12:19 AM
Ok, dumb question... I am finally getting my new 80 gallon set up... but have a dumb question... how far from the wall does everyone place their tank?? I would like to be able to get to the back if needed but don't like it looking like it is in the middle of my family room...

Thanks,
Jenni

Pete Jaenecke
03/07/2005, 12:40 AM
it all has to do with what you have behind your tank..overflows. powerfilters, return pipes... just as there is enought room for you to get behind...

jennmac415
03/07/2005, 01:04 AM
Just the drain plumbing and return plumbing... it has a built in overflow... no power filters or anything

reefer04
03/07/2005, 01:11 AM
It is good that you have a built in overflow. Like Pete said, just make sure to leave enough so that you can get back there. You probably won't need to walk behind it(or maybe you will), but if you plan on doing any extra plumbing (like maybe a closed loop or something) then you will be glad you left some space. Mine is only about 7 inches away from the wall, but I wish that I would've left more. I can only really access the back from one side as it is, and I have a HOB overflow, so it kinda sucks working with plumbing and maintenance.

jennmac415
03/07/2005, 01:30 AM
Well, I just got most of the plumbing done today with the help of a friend that gave up his whole Sunday to help me out, since I am clueless about that part. There is no water in it yet so I can still move it a bit. We originally left it about 10 inches from the wall, but it is in my greatroom and seems to be sitting in the middle of the room at that distance so I moved it back to about 7 inches from the wall but don't know if later I will wish I had left it farther out. How far do most leave theirs?

Jenni

jokeloma
03/07/2005, 02:00 AM
7 inches sounds fine. That distance should give the tank room to "breathe" and allow for future unplanned additions

Stasher
03/07/2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by jokeloma
7 inches sounds fine. That distance should give the tank room to "breathe" and allow for future unplanned additions
That sounds good, as long as you can easily reach to the middle of the tank from behind and feel confident. Keep the tank where you like it though, you are the one that has to live with it everyday :)

Agu
03/07/2005, 11:41 AM
Back when I had a 180 it was 15" out from the wall so the lights could be hung securely from the ceiling. At first I too thought it stuck out too far. Once it was set up and stocked nobody ever noticed that it was out from the wall, they were too busy looking at the tank. I grew to appreciate having access to both the back of the tank and the back of the stand. Esp when I had a leak to repair.

fwiw,

Agu

jokeloma
03/07/2005, 04:50 PM
I would agree with the acces to the back. My tank is in a small alcove so I never thought about it that way. It would be nice but its where its at now.:)

guzz64
03/07/2005, 05:01 PM
Mine is almost 2 feet from the back wall. I want room to work if I have to. I was lucky to have an alcove in the basement so the front of the tank is flush with the main wall.