PDA

View Full Version : Coralline algae in skimmer

hskim
03/06/2005, 11:09 PM
I have coralline growing in my skimmer but not in my tank.
I don't have any live rocks yet, all I have is base rocks covered with some green algae, so I didin't think I'll get any coralline algae but I was cleaning my skimmer and there are coralline growing in the skimmer. Why is this?

DaveC
03/07/2005, 07:08 AM
I get alot of coralline algea growth in my skimmer also, it is outside the stand so it gets cast of light from the display tank...but in your case you have better flow inside the skimmer which is what coralline likes, really good water flow...you can alway scrap it off and let it go into the tank, will help the coralline spread..

DaveC

ab5ebdxer
03/07/2005, 08:19 AM
It could be the water flow or it could be the lights. Coralline have different light requirements, what lights do you have. I think it will most likely spread to the rest of the tank in time.

hskim
03/07/2005, 11:03 AM
I have T5HO Tek light hood. I have about 3.3 wpg of T5HO lighting. It is really bright. Do you think that there is too much light, because why is there coralline growing in skimmer where there is lesser light. I have AquaC Remora Pro skimmer and not a lot of light gets into the skimmer. I think it was red and purple coralline in the skimmer and do they require lesser light?

vince R
03/07/2005, 01:36 PM
The place it grows best in my tank is inside the overflow. So I am not surprised that you are getting it in your skimmer. Like the others said I think it's just a matter of time for it to begin spreading around your tank.