PDA

View Full Version : Another Satisfied Remora Pro owner

Brian25
03/06/2005, 11:07 PM
Well, just thought that I would put this out there to say that I am impressed with the Remora Pro as far as HOB skimmers go. I just set it up on Friday with a Mag 5 pump and it is already pulling a lot of stuff from the water. First day it pulled a lot of water out and then it settled down and is pulling out some really smelly gunk. I think rinsing it with warm water and vinegar helped the break in period considerably. So, another satisfied customer for AquaC.

-Brian

ReeferKeith
03/06/2005, 11:11 PM
Hey Brian, I wholeheartedly concur. I love my Remora, its amazing the gunk that thing pulls out!

loyalty
03/06/2005, 11:18 PM
i've gotta get a skimmer one day:D

pennrj430
03/06/2005, 11:55 PM
Hi Brian25 and ReeferKeith, maybe you can help. I have a Remora with a Maxijet 1200 on my 55 gal, and it pulls out very very little. Maybe an inch of green water every other week or so. I've tried adjusting the cup up and down, leaving it in one position at a time for a week or so, and it doesn't seem to be any better. What is your trick? Thanks.
Ryan

masson
03/07/2005, 12:01 AM
There is no trick. The regular remora is really bad imo. I have it on a 55 and it takes almost nothing out. When I talked to the Aquac ppl they said it was low bioload. That seems to be their excuse for a bad product.

target6584
03/07/2005, 12:09 AM
how loud is it?

DtheDude
03/07/2005, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by masson
There is no trick. The regular remora is really bad imo. I have it on a 55 and it takes almost nothing out. When I talked to the Aquac ppl they said it was low bioload. That seems to be their excuse for a bad product.
There seems to be many split reviews on the Remoras. I've heard great things (like above) and horrible things (like above ;)). Kind of makes me wonder if it's about the product or the people using it. Like...do some people expect more out of the product, either because they have used better products or that's just their nature, or is there a difference between the actual remoras? I would think it has more to do with the former... but for the sake of science it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has owned more than one and had different experiences w/ them.

To comment of masson's post, I think there is a trick. I don't own one, so I lack experience and knowledge of the specifics, but I have seen threads where people have done things to tweak them and have made big changes.

Just my 2 cents

loyalty
03/07/2005, 03:04 AM
posts like this are why i'm skimmerless (on a small tank)

Stevan
03/07/2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by pennrj430
Hi Brian25 and ReeferKeith, maybe you can help. I have a Remora with a Maxijet 1200 on my 55 gal, and it pulls out very very little. Maybe an inch of green water every other week or so. I've tried adjusting the cup up and down, leaving it in one position at a time for a week or so, and it doesn't seem to be any better. What is your trick? Thanks.
Ryan

My Remora w/an MJ1200 is JUNK. Site rules do not allow me to say what I really think about it.

Mine NEVER WORKED from day 1 untill today unless I add a dose of an additive called AZ-NO3. Then I at least get some 1/4" of skimmate.

Customer service did nothing for me but tell me to give it time. I did. Still nothing. Multiple emals to them went unanswered. I finally posted here on RC how unhappy I was with with the product and lack of support...VOILA, an email from Customer Service!!!

The jist of which was to tell me to clean the Remora and pump- DUH!

And remove the pre-skimmer box that they sell you under the guise that it increasesthe skimmers ability to skim....When I pointed out the illogical discrepancy between the two points I got a PM from them in an insulting tone about that they were sorry I wasn't satisfied with their help.

Unless and insulting...Incensed, I responded demanding usefull help. To-date, as expected, there has been no reply.

So much for how good the Remora is and the type of company AquaC is.to a customer who just buy's their entry level product.

It seems like the Pro model works. Why not the regular?

Stasher
03/07/2005, 10:46 AM
I can not say why some people have problems and some do not, this seems to be a completely baffling occurence to me. I have a Remora with mj1200 that I had on my 55. Recently I upgraded and now have a 120 with a sump. I ended up just sticking the skimmer in the sump just like you would an urchin....there is no difference between the 2 other than the legs. I have always had tremendous results and don't understand how it continuously seems to be hit and miss for others. I am so happy with this product that I plan on upgrading to the Pro model for my new tank. I really hope things work out for others out there like Stevan, as I am still convinced to come to the "Dark Side" :) and use the remora. I have included a picture that I just took for this thread to show you one days skimmate from my cup, I run my cup about 1/2" up from the bottom as I like a wet skim. I clean my collection cup daily.
http://ist234.sasktelwebsite.net/remora.JPG

apl111
03/07/2005, 10:54 AM
I too do not understand the problems that some people have with this. Mine did skim from day one. I bought mine used at first it was not skimming that heavily. I cleaned mine out with vinegar which made a huge difference. I also put a bigger pump on it but that is really only because I have to tinker with every thing I buy. Another thing to keep in mind is with the HOB skimmers since they are typically less powerful than the sump models is to keep the salinity higher in the tank. I skim wet so I pull out 1/2 inch of skimmate a day.

Stevan
03/07/2005, 11:17 AM
It amazes me too...

My cup is all the way down and I wouldn't get that much skimmate in a week even with dosing my tank. Without dosing I'd get nothing.

Just an FYI from their Customer Service Dept. They say NOT to clean in Vinegar! More stellar advice. Very many people I've spoken to with working Remoras have great success after doing it .

Also, it seems the Pro's usually do work most times. I've been toying with upping the pump to a Mag 3 or even a Mag 5 But they're so honking big and I only have a 30 gal cube tank. I'm trying to look at a powerhead by Hagen that puts out 400gph and a Dolphin 385 gph submersible but it kills me to throw even more money at this thing.

vince R
03/07/2005, 11:38 AM
I agree with the posts on here. I have a Remora also. Mine works fine. I know what Stevan is going thru. My first skimmer was a Berlin H.O.T and no matter how much I tweaked it or upgraded the pump it simply didn't work. Back then it was one of the more popular skimmers out there and people were having great success with theirs. Mine wouldn't skim anything. So I know how frustrating it is to spend money on something that is supposed to work only to find that it doesn't. Good luck Stevan. I think Aqua C should offer to send you a new one if you return the one you have. Maybe you got some kind of defect. I have seen your posts concerning this skimmer before and it seems to me that YOU have done all that you can to get results from this skimmer. I think the ball is in their court now.

Brian25
03/07/2005, 01:29 PM
Not sure why they seem to be hit and miss. There are several different variables between peoples tanks that could affect the skimming quality but a good skimmer should be able to work in not just the best conditions but also the worst. I did my research and I took a chance with the Remora Pro. Several people recommended the Pro over the regular model. The only thing I can think of that might help with the regular Remora with a MJ 1200 is to do a mod that enlarges the opening where your pump hooks onto the skimmer. Do a search for "Remora Mod". I believe this mod will cost less than a dollar and people seem to be happy with the results.
Also, my bioload is next to nothing right now. I have been cycling the tank for 1 month and all I have is a damsel in there whose short vaction in my tank is about to end as he will be headed back to the fish store shortly. I am currently on the downswing of the usual algae bloom that takes place in a new tank so I'm sure that is why I am getting a decent amount of skimmate right now. I'll post back when I get more fish and let you know how it is working then.

-Brian

mightymike27
03/07/2005, 04:37 PM
hey stasher how did you mount your remora in your sump, I've been thinking about doing the same thing but my sump is a 20 gallon tank which is not tall enough to hang the skimmer. I have a remora pro and it doesn't skim that much. My tank is 5 weeks old and started skimming when I got my fish and started feeding them but it just little. I do want to move it in my sump so I dont have to look at that ugly mag 3 in my tank hanging. Pleased help!

tamorgen
03/07/2005, 05:50 PM
Mightymike,
I too have a Remora that I use like an urchin in my sump. It hangs off the sump, and I have a piece of tubing running from where the pump would normally attach to the bottom of the sump...about 10 inches or so, where it attaches to the Rio 800.

Regarding the skimming qualities of the Remora, I've gone through ups and downs. Right now it's not producing a terrible amount of waste, but in my experence that means it's time to clean out the Remora.

Stephen, I did have a question for AquaC at one point as well, and they responded quickly and polietly. I can't say why they gave you the feedback that you received, but it may simply have been your tone in addressing them. Might have been something totally innocent that ****ed them off. I can't say, I haven't read your correspondance with them, but I've never had a problem.

Anyway, the main reason I came onto the board today was to ask everyone's advice regarding using Ozone in the Remora. How would this best be achieved? I have a Red Sea Ozone generator that I used on my old tank in conjunction with a Red Sea Berlin in tank skimmer, which sucked I may add. I have a 70 gallon reef tank, and I want to add the ozone to the skimmer somehow to fight parasites in the water column. I can't add a U/V filter, which would of course kill the good bacteria needed in a live rock/DSB enviornment. I want to use the Ozone in conjunction with a ORP monitor/controller. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bayarea510
03/07/2005, 07:06 PM
I have the Remora C with MJ-1200 on a 40g, works great, I get at least 1"-1 1/2" every 4-5 days. I have the prefilter as well. Mine skimmed a lot better with the prefilter attached and it got rid of the film that was on top of my water. I give them :thumbsup: great product.

masson
03/07/2005, 08:28 PM
I had a euro reef Es 5-2 in my sump for about 2 weeks. It was a friend of mine who didn’t need it then his broke and I gave it back. The first 4 days I pulled out almost a cup a day. And the last week or so ~1/2 cup a day. I pulled out more in 4 days then I have in 3 months with my remora. It must be that I have a low bioload, that’s why one skimmer can take a cup out, and one skimmer cant, right???? :)

Just my $.02

I am going with an asm soon when I get the money. I don’t want to sell the remora because it will be taking advantage of an innocent noob.

Stevan
03/07/2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by tamorgen
Mightymike,
I too have a Remora that I use like an urchin in my sump. It hangs off the sump, and I have a piece of tubing running from where the pump would normally attach to the bottom of the sump...about 10 inches or so, where it attaches to the Rio 800.

Regarding the skimming qualities of the Remora, I've gone through ups and downs. Right now it's not producing a terrible amount of waste, but in my experence that means it's time to clean out the Remora.

Stephen, I did have a question for AquaC at one point as well, and they responded quickly and polietly. I can't say why they gave you the feedback that you received, but it may simply have been your tone in addressing them. Might have been something totally innocent that ****ed them off. I can't say, I haven't read your correspondance with them, but I've never had a problem.

Anyway, the main reason I came onto the board today was to ask everyone's advice regarding using Ozone in the Remora. How would this best be achieved? I have a Red Sea Ozone generator that I used on my old tank in conjunction with a Red Sea Berlin in tank skimmer, which sucked I may add. I have a 70 gallon reef tank, and I want to add the ozone to the skimmer somehow to fight parasites in the water column. I can't add a U/V filter, which would of course kill the good bacteria needed in a live rock/DSB enviornment. I want to use the Ozone in conjunction with a ORP monitor/controller. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You might do a search here and see what was lacking in my tone.

And you are incorrect about what UV will and will not do also.

phil519
03/07/2005, 10:23 PM
tamorgen -

try posting your question separately from this thread. I am hopeful that the discussion can remain positive, but these days (shrug) who knows?

ozone will not help kill parasites in the water column. It will potentially improve your skimmer's ability to attract the nutrients to the "bubbles". However in reading sprung/delbeek's reef aquarium - they really don't recommend doing this anymore. A UV would potentially kill motile parasites but also likely kill any copepods or similarly small motile organisms that flow thru (not the bacteria in your LR)

As for ozone in conjunction with ORP (imagine my hand going over my head). Got me there.

Good luck!

mightymike27
03/07/2005, 10:36 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/mightymike27/picture011.jpg

do you guys think this would work, I just tie it down to keep it in place untill I can think of a better idea. Suggestion will be appriciated though. I can't hang it becaused my sump is too low.

bswedenburg
03/07/2005, 10:43 PM
i used a pro for almost a year, and recently upgraded to bigger skimmer. IMO it's the pump. the maxijet is just too small. get a mag 3 or 5. then it will surely skim. but then you have this much bigger pump where it can be easily seen...a trade off.

mightymike27
03/07/2005, 11:00 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/mightymike27/picture013.jpg

this is my sump right now and i just put it in so it gonna take a while to find out if it's gong to work. I do have a mag 3 pump that attached to it and it's in the very bottom of my sump.

Stevan
03/07/2005, 11:04 PM
bs- I think that too...I bought a Mag 5, same size as a Mag 3 so I figured why not. That is some honkin' big pump.

I'm looking at a Hagen 400gph and a Dolphin 385 now also.

But 1st I just saw someone mod the barb that holds the hose to the pump...He made the opening about 40% larger, looks like it may be the winner that AquaC never saw.

And Mike...just make an extension to the water outlet so you can avoid the waterfall. It'll be fine...

ReeferKeith
03/08/2005, 01:19 AM
I am running the Pro with the mag 3 on my 58. I have a low bio-load (3 fish) and I am getting an inch or two of skimate every 2 to 3 days. As mentioned by tamorgen, when my Remora stops producing gunk I take it out and give it a good cleaning, then within a few days it is making the green gunk again. I have been very satisfiedwith the Pro it has been on the tank for 2 years now and does a super job!

Stevan
03/08/2005, 09:52 AM
Most Pro owners do OK. Some regular Remora owners aren't as lucky.

Ebisan
03/08/2005, 10:26 AM
I also own the regular Remora w/ MJ1200 and so far am unimpressed with it. No matter how I adjust the cup, it still pulls very little skimmate. My Seaclone pulled more and the skimmate was a dark mocha color. The skimmate from the Remora is green. I'll give it some more time but it's been over a month now since I got it. How long does it take for this thing to break in? And the microbubbles are still there. :(

Stevan
03/08/2005, 10:39 AM
In my case it never did work. It's about 4 months now. I don't get anything (nor any useful help from AquaC) unless I add AZ-NO3.

I think AquaC has just written off the many of us w/ Remora problems. They know we take too much of their time, may require a product exchange and probably won't buy another AquaC product again so they ignore us. Why not, they have nothing further to loose from us.

Nice way to run a company.

Sh0gun
03/08/2005, 11:09 AM
I have one w/1200 also. So far it has only produced light green skimate. I was hoping it would "break in", but now I wonder if it was the right purchace!?

Damn....

Stevan
03/08/2005, 11:26 AM
Well don't wonder too long...I did that after contacting AquaC. Nothing ever happened and I got no useful help from them. They told me to clean it (I already did like the instructions said-DUH). Then to remove the pre-skimmer box they 1st told me to buy to increase the skimmers production.

I'm screwed-You're not if you catch it early and complain enough.

apl111
03/08/2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Sh0gun
I have one w/1200 also. So far it has only produced light green skimate. I was hoping it would "break in", but now I wonder if it was the right purchace!?

Damn....
What is your bioload like ? As of late these skimmers are taking a beating on this forum. How long has your skimmer been running ? Did you clean the injector port also did you clean the skimmer body. Is the skimmer parralel with the side of the tank ? I dont understand all the bashing people are giving this skimmer. If you do have a problem contact the manufacturer and get an exchange etc.

silkchaos
03/08/2005, 12:29 PM
I have a pro I bought used, and love it. I wonder if with the normal remora if there ws some change in how they are made. Everyone who has had them a while seems to like it,and people who got them fairly recent seem to hate them. hmm..

Ebisan
03/08/2005, 12:33 PM
I bought the Remora because of the great reviews here. Maybe it's just a new batch? If it doesn't perform better than the Seaclone I used to have after a longer break in, I'll give AquaC a call.

Stevan
03/08/2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by apl111
SNIP I dont understand all the bashing people are giving this skimmer. If you do have a problem contact the manufacturer and get an exchange etc.

That's the point...

Many of us DID contact AquaC.

In my case I was give only superficial help such as "wait longer" and "clean it" and finally I was told to try removing the pre-skimmer box that they sold me!

When I complained - I was told that they were sorry I wasn't happy w/the support provided. I replied asking for REAL HELP.

Never heard from them again.

That's why all the bashing from me.

and Silk...The Pro owners seem ok. The regular Remoras purchased new seem to be the issue. I think it's possible that as they grew, based on the GLOWING reports, they began sacrificing quality in the entry level product for volume.

As I said earlier, considering they have nothing to gain by helping they just don't bother.

apl111
03/08/2005, 01:21 PM
Thats possible Stevan I did not think of it from that standpoint. I bought my remora used so I cannot compare it to a new one. As far as quality suffering I am unsure how that would happen. All that really comes to mind is something wrong with the injector maybe ? But when I compare My Remora to my POS Prizm the difference is night and day. Yet on this site people will still defend the Prizm. Well enough on my soapbox I hope that you do get this resolved. Did you tell them you wanted a refund and or exchange or are you beyond that stage ?
-

apl111
03/08/2005, 01:21 PM
Thats possible Stevan I did not think of it from that standpoint. I bought my remora used so I cannot compare it to a new one. As far as quality suffering I am unsure how that would happen. All that really comes to mind is something wrong with the injector maybe ? But when I compare My Remora to my POS Prizm the difference is night and day. Yet on this site people will still defend the Prizm. Well enough on my soapbox I hope that you do get this resolved. Did you tell them you wanted a refund and or exchange or are you beyond that stage ?
-

silkchaos
03/08/2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Stevan

and Silk...The Pro owners seem ok. The regular Remoras purchased new seem to be the issue. I think it's possible that as they grew, based on the GLOWING reports, they began sacrificing quality in the entry level product for volume.

Thats the conclusion I am coming to as well. Do you have anyone near you that runs an older one? IT might be interesting to see if they would swap with you for 1-3 days. That would help to show the difference in a way that Aqua C might be hard pressed to deny. (Just an idea)

Stevan
03/08/2005, 02:59 PM
I never had an opportunity to ask for anything but help. When they ceased to communicate to provide even that I basically gave up.

I didn't then and still don't want my money back...What would I buy anway. I just want this thing to work as advertized.

I don't know anyone who has one so I can't test the exchange theory.

I'm fiddling around w/the only variable I can, the pump.

I found this mod over on Nano-Reefs that I'm thinking of trying.

" I just modded my remora with a maxijet 1200 and its an
amazing difference. I unscrewed the 1/2'' MPTx1/2'' hose barb and replaced
it with an array of PVC fittings. I took a 3/4'' inch length of 1/2 PVC and
glued it into a MPTxslip adapter, then i took about an inch and a half of
1/2'' cpvc and hammered it into the glued in 1/2 PVC, it wa a tight fit but
does fit. Then i worked a short length of 1/2 tubing over the CPVC and zip
tied it. Then screwed it back into the Remora's 1/2 FPT fitting and
reinstalled the pump. I had to run the skimmer cup all the way down before
to get decent skimate, but the amount of bubbles increased by around 1/3. So
i am having to raise it higher now and i just did the mod a few hours
ago...i think this things gonna be awesome once it get going again. Before
the mod, the bubbles wouldnt make it to the bottom of the square plate right
after i cleaned the cup by about 1/4 inch. Now they are right at it after a
cleaning. I can post pics if you guys need them..."

pennrj430
03/08/2005, 04:16 PM
I'm going along with what Stevan said, My Remora with Maxi1200 has been up for about 5 months now, and I get about a 1/2 inch of light green water a week at best. A month ago, my friend let me borrow his Euro reef skimmer for 2 weeks while he was revamping his tank, and I was getting about 1/2 Cup of thick green sludge a week. I wish I saved my money on the Remora and just went for that one.

pennrj430
03/08/2005, 04:18 PM
Also, the customer support there is horrible. No help, and they just drag you through circles.

Stevan
03/08/2005, 04:26 PM
Yup Penn...Customer Service sure. Should everyone HAVE to contact their President for help?

What kills me is that I went from a Prizm to a Prizm Pro+ and finally woke up, read up about what was the best here on RC. Only to buy the Remora.

If I add up what I spent on all three-I certainly could have bought a real skimmer. Instead I have this thing that is almost usless. After spending all that money.

What I can't understand is why so many unhappy are out there and so little about their situation was available here.

pennrj430
03/08/2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know. But, I think that people are getting the wrong idea with these old Remora reviews. Someone whould write up a review on one of these newer models.

Ebisan
03/08/2005, 04:58 PM
So far the Remora performs less than my Seaclone 100 (the newer version). I'm still hoping for that break in period to end. :P If not, I will put the Seaclone back on. It pulls more and doesn't generate microbubbles.

Stevan
03/08/2005, 05:10 PM
Less then happy? Voice your opinion where it really counts...

http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Reviews&rop=postcomment&id=83&title=Aqua+C+Remora+w%2F+Maxi-Jet+1200+and+presk

silkchaos
03/08/2005, 05:30 PM
Stevan - where are you located?

Stevan
03/08/2005, 05:40 PM
VA... The wife is from Syracuse.

masson
03/08/2005, 06:00 PM
Their customer support is not bad. They just have nothing to say. I contaced them and in about 30 mins they sent me an answer. They said clean it and I was like dont that next. They were liek that is all you can do . There are no other moving parts or something. All you can do is clean it, which doesnt help much.

PS I have a newer version. Got it in November or December of 04 .

pennrj430
03/08/2005, 06:06 PM
What is the best way to clean this? What, just take maxi1200 off, and soak the Remora in a Vinager / water mix? Or do you soak the powerhead too? What is the best method?

Stevan
03/08/2005, 06:11 PM
I set it on the side of a 5 gal pail and let it run for an hour or so in warm water and Vinegar in a 50/50 mix.

Then run it in plain warm water. and again in RO water.

Then i wiped out what I could and took the impeller cover off the MJ and cleaned out the splooge w/QTips.

Used the Deluxe brush provided FREE at purchase to clean under the white screw.

masson
03/08/2005, 06:15 PM
Oh and another thing, the material is very cheap on mine. I washed the collection cup in warm water, not even near hot and it cracked in like 8 places. I am glad I am am getting my asm soon.

pennrj430
03/08/2005, 06:16 PM
And do you notice any difference in the way it runs after you clean it?

Stevan
03/08/2005, 07:56 PM
Well I noticed the collection cup cover is now warped after washing it in hot tap water...Thats quality!

There has been no difference in its performance since cleaning it. The only thing I found that makes it work is adding AZ-NO3 to that tank.

apl111
03/08/2005, 08:02 PM
Stevan it sounds like there is something extremely wrong with your skimmer. I am at a lose to say what your problem is. It sounds like you have a skimmer that was not quality controlled properly. Can you send it back to Aqua C and try to get your money back. I wash mine in very hot water when I clean it and never have had these problems that you speak of.

pennrj430
03/08/2005, 08:06 PM
I'm having similar issues. Aqua C said they wouldn't take it back, because for the 1st month they said, just try this, and just try that, and the second and third months, it was the same. I said I want to exchange, and they said to just try a few more things. Then I insisted to exchange it, they told me that it was to late, and to take it up with the retailers. I really got no where.

vince R
03/08/2005, 08:17 PM
I agree with apl. While following these posts I always believed you had a skimmer that just didn't work properly. Now I am beginning to think there is something wrong with your skimmer material. I wash the cover to my collection cup 2 or 3 times a week in water so hot I can barely stand to have my hands in it. It hasn't warped. If there is some defect in the plastic that was used to make this skimmer isn't it possible that it is also not allowing the skimmer to get the "slime coat" needed to skim properly? Just a thought.

Stevan
03/08/2005, 08:24 PM
It could be anything...But they never wanted to see the thing in person. It was always about me...My cleaning or not, my bioload. Any additives? Not once did they mention that it may just be the skimmer isn't up to snuff.

That's the game they run on you.

They use your willingness to try what they say...and drag out the process until it looks like YOU dragged your feet and did nothing. Then they blow you off.

It's a numbers game to them, nothing more. They get most of the products they sell right and when they don't they don't. Too bad, don't buy another skimmer from us. See if we care. Next sucker is ready with cash.

If they refunded 1 persons money the floodgates would open WIDE...and they can't have that. So they just play the numbers.

What are you going to do, sue? No-and they know it.

The difference here is that over 500 people have read about how they operate...Maybe, Just maybe some of them may rethink their purchase.

vince R
03/08/2005, 08:41 PM
I agree with that. Who would sue over a 200 dollar skimmer. If this is what's going on that is unfortunate. I say if because I am not privvy to both sides. However like you I bought this skimmer because of all the great reviews and "supposed" wonderful customer service. Mostly by satisfied people on here as well as other forums. If they have gotten away from the practice of selling the best possible product with the best possible service maybe it's time for some of the experts to take a better look at this product. I have as I am sure you have seen some very reputable experts recommend this product hands down as one of the best H.O.T skimmers available. If they are not living up to this praise maybe it should stop.

Stevan
03/08/2005, 08:53 PM
But being the BEST of the HOT skimmers isn't really saying much-is it? Look at the competition...Maybe barely working is ok and is a giant step up for many who bought the others. Like the fellow who was HAPPY with getting 1/4-1/2 inch of skimmate every few days! Remarkable...That's what they call a satisfied customer. And how many other "Satisfied" people are out there? I'd bet lot's. Those who never had better or saw better and just don't know what to expect...All HAPPY.

I don't believe any of the reputable people who recommend them know anything about the minority with major issues.

That is why I will mention it to anyone considering a purchase...If they then buy one-Well, at least they heard about the issues that I was in the dark about. It's a start.

DtheDude
03/08/2005, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Stevan
But being the BEST of the HOT skimmers isn't really saying much-is it? Look at the competition...Maybe barely working is ok and is a giant step up for many who bought the others. Like the fellow who was HAPPY with getting 1/4-1/2 inch of skimmate every few days! Remarkable...That's what they call a satisfied customer. And how many other "Satisfied" people are out there? I'd bet lot's. Those who never had better or saw better and just don't know what to expect...All HAPPY.

I agree. There isn't much competition in the HOB skimmer area. The only one I can think of is the Deltec, but of course when you take price into consideration the Deltec and AquaC are in completely different leagues. The Remora probably is the best HOB skimmer out there for the price...but this statement is misleading. I don't think it's a coincidence that most people who say the Remora is the best skimmer they have ever used have never owned an ER, ASM, MRC, Reef Devil, etc.

Stevan
03/08/2005, 10:47 PM
Drew You are correct, IMO most lay people have no idea what a good skimmer is or supposed to do.

Others though should know better-They can be very misleading.

theishkid
03/09/2005, 12:01 AM
Just a show of hands here... how many of you with the Remora Pro are having problems? It seems like the only ones listed are the regular. If you are a Pro user with a problem, what pump are you using?

DtheDude
03/09/2005, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by theishkid
Just a show of hands here... how many of you with the Remora Pro are having problems? It seems like the only ones listed are the regular. If you are a Pro user with a problem, what pump are you using?
I'm curious about that too. Seems like ive heard lots more good things about the Pro than the standard Remora.

Fenix
03/09/2005, 02:33 AM
I have the pro and I dont have any problems. It is on a FOWLR 55g tank and it still skimms a lot of gunk everyday.

My roomate has the regular one on his 30g reef tank and it skimms a good amount everyday too.

I got mine in january and he got his in febuary.

Stevan
03/09/2005, 07:07 AM
Fenix-Pumps? Pre-skimmer boxes? Bio-loads? Mods? What amount of skimmate/day?

Thanks.

VoidRaven
03/09/2005, 07:42 AM
This cracks me up....really, it does. I mean, no offense meant to anyone because I can really sympathize with all the bad stuff happening to folks and their bad experiences with equipment.

I used to run SeaClones (the "new" ones) and I couldn't go a day on RC without getting bashed for running a "junk" skimmer. Yet I would get a good half cup or more of sludge each week. So, looking for a change (just because I wanted to test out some new equipment), I gave the Aqua C Remora w/MJ1200 a shot after reading so many "rave" reviews about it. Purchased it in December 2004, and within three days it was off an running. I pull about 3/4ths of a cup of gunk (I run it very wet) a week.

And today what do I find...yet ANOTHER purchase of mine, a purchase made from so many great reviews here on RC, getting flamed. So let's see...I've seen BOTH my skimmers flamed, my lights (Coralife 4x65w PC), periodically my ph's (Maxi-Jets...go figure)....what's next???

Incidentally, I have recently ordered the Remora Pro w/Mag 3 for my 75g. We shall see how that works...I'm keeping high hopes.

But I have learned a very important lesson....I no longer ask for advice or take much stock in "personal" reviews here on RC. Obviously some people can get certain products to work for them that others, for one freaky reason or another, cannot. I mean, how long is it before I read a thread flaming Euro-Reef or ASM??? It's only a matter of time.

I just think it's really funny because so many local reefers who are RC members have warned me time and time again about this "flavor of the month/year" phemonenon that occurs in the hobby and on RC and to do my own independent research and make a decision off of that. Now I understand what they mean.

Someone needs to invent the "Consumer Reports" of reef keeping hardware/technology.

Ah well, off to clean my "junk" SeaClone and Remora whose cups are yet again full.

But thanks everyone for the warning, seriously, because it definitely made me rethink a bunch of other purchases for my 75 that I am now putting on hold until I research them further. Can't be too careful I guess.

Stevan
03/09/2005, 08:04 AM
Interesting a 55 gal reef-3/4 cup WET skimmate per 7 days and happy with that.

Also a happy SeaClone owner.

Perhaps a case of modest expectations?

Please advise as to your future purchases.

vince R
03/09/2005, 10:31 AM
For the record I am not flaming Aqua C. As I have stated on many posts I have a Remora and mine works fine. I use it on a 37 gallon tank with a very light bio-load ( pair of clownfish and some softies). I get 1/4 cup of dry skimmate a day. My point was that this company gets tons of good press on boards such as this one. If they are no longer living up to that then maybe all our praise should be redirected.

Stevan
03/09/2005, 11:06 AM
The real issue vince is that the Remora's preformance is all over the block...Seemingly way out of proportion to the variances seen in really high quality skimmers.

All skimmers vary in their abilities to skim in different tanks w/varying chemistry, conditions etc.. But Remoras seem at best just marginal even when everything is in their design parameters. Cross that narrow line and you get zip...and no help from AquaC because THEY CANT-Possibly it's inherent in product design, size, pump selection, manufacturing QC, etc. So you just get run-around from them.

Couple that with another issue which seems to be that some "Satisfied" owners are quite frankly clueless about what a good skimmer can and should do and you have the issues we are discussing here.

Remember this is in many cases an entry level product so many have never seen nor used a really high quality product. Many have stepped up from the worst garbage products in the hobby, so to them getting 3/4 inch of skimmate a week is great-because before they got nothing or a flooded floor.

The combination of a marginal product and an too many uninformed consumers blindly accepting it's ability seems to allow this myth of "The Best" to go on. Remember many work-but many don't work or don't work up the level that the press reports.

It may well be the Best of the HOB's. But being the Best of a group of very poor products may not really be recommendation at all.

Brian25
03/09/2005, 01:37 PM
It is understandable that you are upset because you have not been satisified with the performance of your skimmer. Some people aren't into saltwater tanks as hardcore as a lot of you on here and would like a decent tank that doesn't cost $5000 to setup. The remora/Remora pro gives people like that a chance to have a decent HOB skimmer that will get the job done most of the time. Of course there are going to be exceptions. Most people will tell you that AquaC has great customer service and gets back to you fairly quickly. AquaC is a small company that provides a good product for the money compared to what is out there right now. They are not going for the high end market and offer an entry level person who is getting into reefing a way to see if they like the hobby and if they want to continue long term, they can upgrade to a better skimmer. IMO, it's better to start off with decent equipment and decide if you like the hobby, than to spend a bunch of money on stuff you may end up selling on E-Bay for a 1/4th of what you paid if you don't stick with it. Just my 2 cents. I don't think you should compare a $200 skimmer to one that is $500. That's like saying everyone who buys an accord is an idiot because they didn't purchase the Mercedez.

VoidRaven
03/09/2005, 03:03 PM
Stevan...Well, considering the SeaClone's "sludge" was more like this forest green/black-ish...well...sludge...the Aqua C's gunk is much more liquid than the SC's was. But, that being said, the Aqua C's collection cup is also considerably larger than that of the SC. So, I would say the Aqua C is doing much better than the SC overall. As to my expectations, consider the fact that I have only been in the hobby a little over a year so I would say that I'm still in this "phase" of not truly knowing what to expect out of a piece of equipment for "optimal" performance.

In short, you may be right...I may just have modest expectations of what is "good" performance and what is not. Hard to say. I also run sumpless, so everything I use is HOB. Not much variety in the HOB market to choose from.

And yes, I am a happy SC owner...but I also like to "tinker" with stuff, so the constant fiddling and corrections to airflow and stuff was no big deal. I'm always checking to make sure that pumps, filters, skimmers, etc are operating a-ok. Can't go a day without making minor adjustments or cleanings to pieces and parts.

I will do my best to let you know what I think about the Remora Pro with the Mag 3 (I know...should have gone for the Mag 5). I just ordered it last night so I hope it will be here in a week or so (supporting my quality LFS). Couldn't exactly justify the $400+ for something like the Deltec MCE600. Maybe in the distant future, but not right now.

Stevan
03/09/2005, 03:07 PM
Yup you are correct...but a few things. (I do get passionate, especially if I see wrong being done).

1st- The Remora Pro seems to be a different animal altogether. I've heard few if any criticism about it. Anyone who wanted more and better skimming from it only had to add a bigger pump. Most going with the Mag 5 some w/the Mag 7 and the bigger cup w/overflow.

They are not the issue and perhaps the Pro is where the AquaC product line should start...upgrading components as your need grows. That will never happen because good money is being made on the regular remora and they'd loose money if they didn't have el cheapo model to compete w/the other junk out there. But it must be said, it is not a 100% reliable performer. You are just getting (in some cases just barely) what you pay for-not some hidden treasure or amazing bargain or find.

And AquaC does go after a higher end person and they do hope people trade up in their product line...It's not about Remoras/Urchins. Take a look. (We won't even begin to discuss what was written here about the 120).

2 things I don't think you are correct about. One of which you are somewhat far off the mark. Customer service is poor. Anyone and I do mean ANYONE can handle the easy issues and take orders. That is the bulk of the work and may in fact be handled well. The true test of customer service is in resolving the DIFFICULT issues. As some here have attested to that is not happening at AquaC. You reach a point where you are completely set adrift. Look at the advise that was given...Is that the response of high quality CS? No way.

The other issue is the unbalanced nature of the PR about this product...These issues are out there and happen to quite a few people. But I'd venture to say few if any have seen nor heard about them.

Finally the issue of comparing the Remora to a 500 dollar skimmer...There were very few mentions of a Deltec HOB or a few others which are lightyears ahead of a Remora and you pay for it. It's an expensive hobby if done right-period. Done poorly or on a marginal budget often results in those products you see on ebay and some hurt and frustrated people.

This is not about a basic commodity like transportation that most everybody needs and has so your Honda/Mercedes comparison is not valid. Using cars as an analogy it's more like race cars. Nobody needs one but if your going to race to win, don't bring a Go-Kart to a Formula 1 race and expect to win...And anyone who told you you could was not telling you the truth. Simple fact.

It's about a luxury that we've decided we were interested in exploring...Not a license to be misinformed nor poorly served for our money and efforts.

And Void...Good luck the Pro will likely serve you well. I have a new Mag 5 sitting here because I don't have the courage to try on my Remora. I'm going to build a closed loop w/it.

(Also Sumpless)

Stevan

tibbs2
03/09/2005, 03:34 PM
My urchin makes a loud vibration noise. I had to jury rig it sot hat the pump is suspended above the tank so it doesn't make such a loud racket. It is still sort of noise so now I am going to put a rubber matt beneath it and see what happens. After 3 weeks I haven't been impressed with the skimmate yet. I'll give it more time though.

Stevan
03/09/2005, 03:50 PM
Tibbs, don't wait too long. Others have been told they waited too long and basically told too bad.

At 3 weeks I got really concerned. And tried to get help...anyway...

masson
03/09/2005, 05:45 PM
The asm g1 is about the same price as the remora and less than the remora pro.

Ps. PPl who have " defective" using that loosley remoras can you tell me where you got them?

mhe
03/09/2005, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I'm interested in the "normal" range for the setting of the collection cup on a Remora Pro. I've had mine about a week - when it arrived the o-ring was very close to the top of the cup (so the cup was almost as low as it could go) and the unit quickly filled with water.

I've moved the o-ring about 1" down and it seems "better", but I'm wondering if there's a normal range of where the cup tends to sit.

Anybody with a Remora Pro that's working well want to share where their cup/o-ring is set?

Thanks,

- Michael

DtheDude
03/09/2005, 06:42 PM
about the Remora "flaming"...

I don't think any of us intended to do so. In fact, right after I posted my comment I also recommended the Remora in another thread. The fact is, that if your looking for an HOB skimmer the Remora is basically the best you can get. However, the "best you can get" is not that great....considering the performance of equally-priced in-sump skimmers. Now whether you are satisfied with the Remora is a completely different thing....and if you are, then Im happy for you.

Stevan
03/09/2005, 06:52 PM
I've just taken to recommending the Pro if you have the room for it. I don't think you can overskim so why not if you dont have a sump or a ton of money burning a hole in your pocket.

Knowing what I know now I wish I had gotten the Pro myself. At the time though looking at the recommended tank size, I thought all other things being equal, I was safe w/the Remora because I only have a 30 gal.

DtheDude
03/09/2005, 06:58 PM
i agree w/ that

Stevan
03/09/2005, 09:08 PM
Look what just showed up in my in basket.

"Hi Stevan,

I was recently contacted by a customer who frequents the Reef Central forums and he mentioned that you had been posting some negative feedback about your Remora, as well as our customer service. I spoke with my customer service manager (Christine) about this issue and she forwarded me a number of emails that had been sent back and forth between the two of you. As you are probably aware, we are dedicated to providing the very best customer service possible and I believe that we build a quality product. I encourage you to contact me directly regarding your Remora and I am certain I can figure out a solution quickly. If you have any other questions or comments, do not hestiate to contact me at jason@proteinskimmer.com or 858-689-1121.
-------------------------

Jason Kim
President

AquaC, Inc.
7949 Stromesa Ct., Ste. E
San Diego, CA 92126
858-689-1121 phone
858-564-3419 fax

visit us online at...
www.proteinskimmer.com"

I'll respond in the AM. Let's see if he can help.

vince R
03/09/2005, 10:04 PM
Well I believe if any one can help you with your skimmer that would be the guy. Let us know how it turns out.

Stevan
03/09/2005, 10:38 PM
will do!

Brian25
03/09/2005, 11:26 PM
When the president of the company (albeit a small one) takes the time to help people out, that is good customer service. Good luck with your skimmer Steven.

silkchaos
03/10/2005, 03:58 PM
Thats awesome. (annoying that it has to get to that point, but still awesome.) Please let us now how it turns out!

Stevan
03/10/2005, 04:06 PM
Will do...He's given me a few ideas to try then I'll report in.

It's like the cavalry has arrived. Maybe.

pennrj430
03/26/2005, 01:05 PM
Hi Steven, any new news? Is the Remora working better after talking to that guy? Let me know, because I'm having similar problems like you were having. Thanks.
Ryan

chrisnpa
03/26/2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by pennrj430
Hi Steven, any new news? Is the Remora working better after talking to that guy? Let me know, because I'm having similar problems like you were having. Thanks.
Ryan

Thankfully I haven't had any trouble with mine. In fact, I need to empty the collection cup once a day as it's filling quite fast.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours. I hope you get them sorted out.

Chris

lawrenceparrish
03/27/2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by bswedenburg
i used a pro for almost a year, and recently upgraded to bigger skimmer. IMO it's the pump. the maxijet is just too small. get a mag 3 or 5. then it will surely skim. but then you have this much bigger pump where it can be easily seen...a trade off.

have remora pro with mag5 that has been running for 3 weeks now----NOT PRODUCING ANYTHING----Lemme guess tank is to clean:rolleye1: