PDA

View Full Version : help lookin for southdown

gogoderek
03/06/2005, 08:58 PM
if anyone has any to buy or knows of a homedepot that has it please let me know

minh_han
03/06/2005, 09:17 PM
It should be coming up for sale soon, as spring is coming. We'll keep our eyes peeled for it.

gogoderek
03/07/2005, 11:33 AM
^^^^^

paulpp187
03/07/2005, 02:38 PM
you will proballt never see southdown again just what they have left from last year company went out of business

Shoestring Reefer
03/07/2005, 02:57 PM
Really? It's been the last year to get Southdown for about 3 straight years. But I guess it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Somebody in BRS brought some up from Jerzey a little while ago, so there is some around if you look hard enough-if you can't wait until it's in season (knock on wood).

km133688
03/07/2005, 11:45 PM
they were bought out by somebody else. I forget the name, but I was told the sand was still being sold, just in a different bag. You have to get the stuff that says "tropical play sand", otherwise it ain't what you want. I'll check Lisbon HD next time I am up there (maybe tomorrow).

Kevin

Shoestring Reefer
03/08/2005, 09:10 AM
Last year or the year before they were bought out by "OldCastle". That's what it's now called.

None at HD in Waterford or Westerly yet. But it's only early March. Maybe I ought to buy another bag of Dow Flake while it's still around...

silentshawn
03/08/2005, 01:19 PM
it's either under Old Castle or Yardright, tropical play sand. i took a trip to jersey to get some a couple months back. search for the sku# and call the home depots they can search to see if any stores have it local, but make sure if the Home depote says they have you have some one go and look.

paulpp187
03/08/2005, 04:12 PM
i got the skew but i'm tellin ya hd is no longer going to carry it just what is left in back stock go to brs there is a whole article the sand will not be produced any more also i gave my number to all the home depots in conn,some in mass and most of ri to call me if they see any call me.my parents just got back from florida no home depots carry it there either i'll post if i hear anything

ctreefer
03/09/2005, 09:31 AM
Where in Depot do they carry the dowflake, and about how much is it? I'd like to pick up a bag and start the RHF mixture.

jpg
03/09/2005, 09:37 AM
its in the garden section.
I think it was 12 a bag if Im correct.

silentshawn
03/09/2005, 09:41 AM
how much do you need of the sand?

Shoestring Reefer
03/09/2005, 09:48 AM
Paul-
I checked out BRS but I couldn't find the thread and now is, well, not a good time for me to spend a whole lot of time on the web at work. Someone just got fired and we suspect it was because of inappropriate computer use; someone else got a "talking to" and there will be further investigation.

So, could you post me a link? I normally don't mind digging through forums and websites, but...

paulpp187
03/09/2005, 11:17 AM
here is one of them http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=7787&page=2&pp=20

km133688
03/18/2005, 09:53 AM
I was up a home depot in Lisbon CT last weekend. They got new sand in. Its unusual though. There is one picture on the shelf but the bags don't look like the picture. the picture is the stuff we want but I don't think the bags are. I will check again next time I am there.

But idea begin, they are starting to stock sand. now would be a good time us as a group to contact some HD and ask them to get a pallet of it (assuming enough of us want the stuff). Otherwise we could just make our wish known that we want a specific kind of sand.

Kevin

revclyburn
03/18/2005, 10:31 AM
hey this is what you're looking for:

http://stevesreefroom.com/DSCN3487.JPG

I'll send you the correct sku, but, I think they place all their sand under the same sku, so you have to llok for it yourself. Most HD's on the east coast carry it. And as far as I know, the compnay was only brought up by another company. They will still be selling Southdown/Yardright/Old Castle Play sand from the caribbean. Make sure that's it says that on the bag. Well, when you see what it looks like you won't have a problem identifying it.

And when you go to HD, look in the garden area, that's where they usually keep it, not in the concrete section. I'll post the sku as soon as I can locate the thread ok

RevClyburn

revclyburn
03/18/2005, 10:48 AM
Here's some more info I found:

I think southdown is called Old Castle play sand now. I found this on another website, and I thought that I would post the info for anyone having trouble finding Southdown.

You can ask your local Home Depot to order Southdown sand, but be sure to give them this info so you get the right stuff:

SKU # 578-819
UPC # 0-210026-16865-5
Model # 420-100

The SKU is a generic number that refers to 5 different types of playsand and not just Southdown. Give the person all this info to insure you get something that will not harm your tank inhabitants!

km133688
03/18/2005, 11:13 AM
yep, that is the stuff I used on my two tanks last year, thanks reverend, good work; praise the lord and pass the southdown.

Kevin Meade.

gogoderek
03/18/2005, 11:27 AM
they have it in sudbury/watland ma on rt 20 at russells garden center

revclyburn
03/18/2005, 12:08 PM
Oh Lord,

help Kevin, lol. I just want to help. Now where's your tithe for this week's sermon, lol? That will be 10 percent of your tank, lol!

RevClyburn

km133688
03/18/2005, 12:30 PM
hehehe

revclyburn
03/18/2005, 12:37 PM
Please let know if any of you find it,

like to try and keep a list of places that have it. Most HD's here have it, or it will be on their shelves within the next week or so. I was thinking of starting a Southdown for reef's company, I could get rich just selling that stuff. Hey, don't take the idea, it's patented by God, lol And you don't want to double cross God, right KEVIN?

RevClyburn

km133688
03/18/2005, 12:49 PM
No I don't, but if I mess up, I am sure you can put in a good word for me. I sure am glad God has a sense of humor and is of the forgiving type.

Hmm... you might be able to make a few bucks by keeping hold fo the stuff for next winter. A bit of trouble though. I find it easier to grow xenia and sell it back to the LFSs that don't have it.

See you, I'll say a prayer of thanks tonight for letting my meeting you guys online today, thanks for the giggles.

Kevin

silentshawn
03/18/2005, 01:55 PM
i can bring a couple bags to the meeting for the raffle or to trade for frags.

camarojweed
03/18/2005, 04:04 PM
Get it while you can..according to some research in the BRS forum there is only 33,000 bags of this left (and at least 4 pallets were sold in boston)..the company is no longer going to produce this sand ...

km133688
03/18/2005, 04:23 PM
grrrrrrrrr

revclyburn
03/18/2005, 04:27 PM
Hey

tried to see that forum, but couldn't for some reason. Will try again later. But, where did they get that info from? And we have pallets of it here in N.J. Anybody want to go into business with me?

RevClyburn

camarojweed
03/18/2005, 05:08 PM
Info came from Yardrightfrom yardright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Hoggas
It is the old Southdown bag without the name cause they were bought out. Stock up as there are less than 994 tons left for the country. .

thats 33,133 bags worth, I wonder how long that will last?

jg013c
03/19/2005, 09:59 PM
Today I went to the HD in Orange, CT & they told me that they had it in Bridgeport, so I went to Bridgeport and they had the wrong stuff!!!

They had an oldcastle white sand but it was not the tropical play sand... The bag said right on it that it was not fit for aquarium use... So what's the deal? How can we get this stink'n sand? Do we have to drive down to Jersy?

camarojweed
03/19/2005, 11:24 PM
That is what you want...the white playsand...and if it says not for aquarium use, you know you have the correct stuff...oldcastle bought out southdown..was the bag blue and red with a kid and a shovel?

revclyburn
03/20/2005, 01:06 AM
jg013c,

when you go to HD, look for it in the Garden Center. I posted the sku number for it in a earlier post, but I think it was the wrong one, but here's the one I got off the bag I saw at HD here in N.J.

Sku# 090604201002 that under the barcode and it should say OLSP022-2 over the bar code

Ask the person at the service desk to run the bar code number and see what they come up with.

jg013c
03/20/2005, 07:55 AM
I will try your SKU number, but the sand I saw as Bridgeport was not called tropical play sand, it was just "white sand", there was no kid with the shovel, so it wasnt the right stuff, the tag on the rack say OLDCASTLE but the bag said DURASCAPE, so its definately not the right stuff...

If anyone finds any for sale in Connecticut, please let me know. Next time I'm near a HD I will ask them about the SKU.

rocktigod
03/20/2005, 09:28 PM
Good luck in your search ! I have a friend at the derby hd , she took the time to search for the "right sand" in every ct hd. In the computer , 5 hds across the state were showing from 32 to 66 bags in stock. I visited every one , including the bridgeport one. Not a store has it :( This was all through the past week , the final straw was a trip to enfield just to see a pallet of quikcrete tropical playsand.
I bit the bullet and drove up to russells on the edge of boston for the stuff. The look on the yard jockeys face as I asked him to load over a ton of bagged sand on the back of my tiny toyota pickup was priceless :)

Just in case you would like to try home depots , here is the sku: 578-819 , upc off an old bag is 0-210026-16865-5 , model 420-100. Here is the number that works the best with busy hd store clerks : 090604201002
hope this helps !
chris

revclyburn
03/20/2005, 11:10 PM
Hey Chris

does it say OLSP022-2 over the bar code? That's what is on the correct oldcastle play sand.

ReefSurge
03/29/2005, 09:42 AM
Hey guys, here in Danbury they have pallets of OldCastle(yardright) white playsand. 50lb. bags for 4.99, price break on pallets. Just need to verify that its the right stuff. I bought some southdown 5 months ago, so I know what to look for. Let me know who is interested and for how much?

Obi-dad
03/29/2005, 10:50 AM
2 tests that I know of, the first is to put vinegar on some of the sand. You are watching for fizzing/bubbling, not just a few bubbles of trapped air coming out the sand. The next is to look at it through a microscope, the carbonate sand is supposed to be more rounded than the silica sand which has sharp edges (there is a thread here on RC with photos I think).

Don't go by the 'not for aquarium use', even the original Southdown said that.

dfiddy
03/29/2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ReefSurge
Hey guys, here in Danbury they have pallets of OldCastle(yardright) white playsand. 50lb. bags for 4.99, price break on pallets. Just need to verify that its the right stuff. I bought some southdown 5 months ago, so I know what to look for. Let me know who is interested and for how much?

where in Danbury are you talking about? Can I get a street address? Name of store? About how much did they have left?? I need about 2 bags of that sand or so for my 75g I'm working on and would definitely make the trip down there for some!!!

thanks! :)

Shoestring Reefer
03/29/2005, 08:09 PM
YardRight Tropical Playsand (http://yardright.com/sand.htm#playsand)

Shoestring Reefer
03/29/2005, 08:13 PM
order Southdown/YardRight on the internet! (http://www.liquidaquariums.com/sales/sand.html) :lol:

PITSTOP
03/29/2005, 08:15 PM
ReefSurge - do you ever come through Ridgefield? If so, I would love a bag of the sand, and I could give you a frag and chaeto or cash...PM me if you can do this....