PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer Question

acemart
03/06/2005, 03:55 PM
Just wondering if I have added a UV unit to my tank to soon. I was having an impossible time getting rid of "green water." Did daily water changes for over a week and ran carbon too, but it would not go away. Added the UV unit Frtday night and today (Sunday) I cannot beleive the clarity. Its almost list no water in the tank at all.
Tank details:72 gal FOWLR-Started Late Dec 2004. 16 Gal Sump with CPR skimmer, no mechanical or bio filter, flow is about 1300gph with Mag 7 return and a SEIO 820.
4-5� DSB, 60 lbs base rock, 30 lbs live rock. Cleaners:1 Emerald Crab, Hermits - 6 scarlet, 9 blue legged, 6 micros. Snails: 1 turbo, 5-Asrtea, 4 nassarius, 6 trocus grazers, 6 nerite snails, 6 strombus. 2 peppermint shrimp. 5 small blue-green chromis, pajama cardinal and stropped cardinal – all small. Prior to the fish, survived a brown algae/diatom bloom. And then had a green hair algae bloom which was minor and I beat quickly. Amm=0, nitrites=0, nitrates=0, Phos=<5, SG=1.024, temp 79, PH= 8.2.

Kaos
03/06/2005, 04:10 PM
I think the results answer the question. Its never too soon to add an UV sterilizer IMO. As long as you don't have anymore problems I would say don't worry about it, but you may want to try and figure out where the Phos. are coming from.

conspicman
03/06/2005, 05:12 PM
UV is a great asset to any tank IMO. There are alot of people that will disagree with me. I say that there is no way to achieve the water clarity that you get with the use of UV and ozone. As far as the phosphates go just get some roa phos and that should solve your problems. (or any high quality phosphate remover)

fishman805
03/06/2005, 05:18 PM
I was told that adding a UV to a reef tank was a bad idea... That it would kill off beneficial micro life for your corrals and stuff.... Was I told wrong??

blakers82
03/06/2005, 06:25 PM
Fishman,

I'm no professional by any means, but here's my take:

If you'd like to get very technical, I believe that a UV sterilizer is going to kill very small (some beneficial) bacteria. Is it going to limit coral growth? In one word, "nope." I've had one on my 75 gal. for 4-5 years and my tank is a frogspawn farm. I believe the benefits easily outway drawbacks, but that's my experience.

conspicman
03/06/2005, 07:31 PM
If there was a big problem with uv light than the reefs in the ocean would not exsist. Think of how much uv light is produced by the sun.

fishman805
03/06/2005, 08:06 PM
Did not think of it that way conspicman.... But yep,that makes perfect sense to me .... That's one more thing to add to my growing equipment list... ( won't the wife be happy )... In truth, I had already considered buying a UV for my new reef setup but was diswaded by my LFS owner...

Can you recommend a good one to run for a 150gal. reef setup... Preferably a stand alone unit?? I would like to avoid having to replumb the setup I'm already running with...

Thanks

acemart
03/07/2005, 10:14 AM
I got the Current USA Gamma. It can be a ahng on or in-line witk a separate pump. I did not want to re-plumb everything her. I am using it as a hang-on right now but as soon as I get my pump (my LFS loaned me one to get me running) I'll add it to my sump --actually outside the sump with a small pump inside and 2 lines--in and out.

fishman805
03/07/2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks acemart.... One other question .. what "wattage" would be best for a 150gal. In your opinion??

acemart
03/07/2005, 06:02 PM
In my research, the answer varies depending upon the type of unit you get. The key is to have the water flow in close proximity to the UV light and have it there long enough to do the work. Some units use a simple flow chamber, other use spiral tubes around the bulb, and some a double spiral --all designed to keep the water in the light long enough. You also need to watch flow rate. this is one area where le4s flow may be better than more. There are a few good threads under the Equipment forum that talk more specifics. Go there and do a search for UV Sterilizer and have fun studying!

fishman805
03/07/2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the input ...