PDA

View Full Version : Crab ID, please.

Me No Nemo
03/06/2005, 03:24 PM
Sorry, this is a bit blurry, but is this little guy reef safe? If not, what should I do with him? He came in as a hitchhiker on some montipora and I hate to "dipose" of anything living. Any suggestions? Thanks, Marcye

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/86476Crab_three-med.jpg

AJP
03/06/2005, 03:52 PM
Very hard to tell, but if it is hairy it is most likely not going to be reef safe.

ab5ebdxer
03/06/2005, 06:42 PM
This guys looks similar to one in my tank that was attacking my hermits and trying to pull them out of their shells.

phil519
03/06/2005, 11:19 PM
the tips appear to be black - a good characteristic identifier for crabs in the xanthidae family. There are a wide variety of xanthid crabs but unfortunately most will not be particularly "reef" safe. A better picture and I'd refer you to Dr. Ron's forum for a formal id - but he'd just tell you to take a better pic ;)

Xanthid crabs imo are safer in the sump or as stromatopod or trigger meals. I know you said you don't want to kill it, so it's also plausible (though unlikely) a LFS will take it.

If you do still want a second opinion, try a pic from above (getting a look at the number of legs) and a secondary pic of the front with the claws (hopefully showing whether it has black tips).

Here's an excellent article by Dr. Ron on Crabs:
Reefkeeping.com A Spineless Column: Crabs (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rs/index.htm)

dudah
03/06/2005, 11:47 PM
I have one that looks very similar to that on an acro I recently got. So far he doesn't seem to bother anything. He stays on the acro and doesn't go anywhere else. He is VERY small; about the size of a small house fly. Hard to see. I have been watching him closely and doing some research. Nothing definite but found that some of the crabs like this are not hurting the coral and eat the coral slime, etc. Hopefully that is what yours and mine are!!!

stlmustangz
03/07/2005, 09:39 AM
I'll take that crab if you want him gone.I have a fish only tank.LMK.

Me No Nemo
03/07/2005, 10:29 AM
You got him, although I've never sent livestock through the mail before, so you might need to give me some pointers on how to get him to you since I'm in FL. PM me with details and I'll work it out. Thanks!!! I don't think I could bring myself to dispose of him. Marcye