PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I didn't know Turbo's were that big

waypoint
03/06/2005, 11:17 AM
I went to the LFS yesterday to pick up the next members of my cleaing crew, turbo snails. I bought 6 turbos for my 46 gal bowfront. Is this to much? 5 of the 6 were massive, just alittle larger than a golf ball. I have to ask, will they just each algae or will they eat destroy whatever else is on my live rock? I am starting to get some growth on the LR and don't want it to be eaten or destroyed. Oh, do turbo's sleep? and if they are eating all this stuff, they must poop. Do I need to worry about the amount of waste they will produce?

Also, i need your advice. Do I need more snails? I have 70lbs of LR. I was looking at the Astraea, Massarius, or Banded Trochus. Which do you prefer for reef safe tanks and how many do I need?

Thanks.

foob
03/06/2005, 02:24 PM
Yes I think it is too much, 2-3 should be enough. They will probably starve later on if the unwanted algae in your tank is gone. They will only eat algae. And not coralline algae. Yes they rest/sleep. They poop a lot. If you have pods, smaller snails or hermits they will take care of the poop. Don't need to worry really.

You don't really need snails unless you have a need for it. Some diversity in your tank is nice though.

swoopx
03/06/2005, 03:17 PM
I could use an answer to this aswell

ItsMee
03/06/2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by foob

You don't really need snails unless you have a need for it.

LOL :lol:

foob
03/06/2005, 10:14 PM
^^^ I was in a drug induced state when I said that hehe.

McBeck
03/06/2005, 10:49 PM
I have one of the monster Mexican turbos in a 300 gal and one in my 120 gal. IMHO, six is way too many. As for the others:

Astrea - good grazer, but can't flip over if they fall on their backs. Many end up stranded behind rocks.
Trochus - good grazer, but unnecessary w/ those turbos.
Nassarius - meaty food eater, NOT a grazer. They will eat leftover food, and you don't need many b/c they need a lot of meaty food. I have a dozen in the 300 and 4-6 in the 120.

The turbos can bulldoze your rocks & corals. If I were you, I'd keep maybe one of them, or trade them all in for a couple of trochus and 6 ceriths. Ceriths eat algae and detritus. Great general snail.

phil519
03/06/2005, 10:51 PM
not much to add to mcbecks post. but here's an article to help in your research!

The Grazing Snails part I (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.htm)

ab5ebdxer
03/07/2005, 08:24 AM
I have have 2 big turbos in my 58g. I do feed my tank alot and and they seem to have enough to eat. I think I am pushing though. They do get large and if you have lots of loss corals on your rocks they will knock them down.

ItsMee
03/07/2005, 09:36 AM
do you think 1 turbo the size of a nickle, one the size of a quarter and one the size of a half dollar is enough for a 75 gallon? Do they eat green hair algae? DO they eat diatoms?

Stasher
03/07/2005, 11:00 AM
I have avoided the turbos just for their bulldozing problems. I love the nassarious as the really work up my sandbed nicely, Cerith snails are also good for working up your sand for detritus. I then have a mix of margarita and astrea for my glass and rock.
They are very good at their jobs, and yes those dumb astrea can't flip themselves and often become hermit crab food but that is the life of a reef.