PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a glass tank.

goatman
03/06/2005, 08:52 AM
After more and more research, I think I am going to have my tank drilled. Who does this professionally and at what cost. Where should the holes be drilled and what size?

Scuba Oz
03/06/2005, 09:14 AM
Most LFS can tell you in your area where to get the tank drilled, or they can do it. Which city you in?

mhurley
03/06/2005, 09:15 AM
You would need to find a local glass shop...Best bet is to check either in your local club forum (if you have one here) or check with the club itself to see if they know anyone.
Other option is simply the Yellow Pages and call and ask. It shouldn't be much...Maybe $20 a hole.

Hole size depends on your tank and what you are trying to do. You'll have to figure out what size bulkheads you want to use, then find them and find out what size hole they require (i.e. a 3/4" bulkhead needs a hold about 1-1/4" IIRC).

goatman
03/06/2005, 10:01 AM
I live in Austin. Duh glass shop. I never thought of that. Where on the tank should the holes be drilled. The bottom, side, corner? I have a 29 gallon tank. Planning on starting with fish only, but figure it would be easier to have drilled empty. Eventualyy it will be a FOWLR, then a reef. I want to jump in slowly and make sure I do it all right.

mr_alberta
03/06/2005, 10:06 AM
Before you drill anything, make sure that the glass is not tempered (there should be a bright orange sticker on the bottom of the glass that says if it is). Where you drill is up to you. I personally like having it drilled on the side near the top so I don't have to use a big overflow box.

goatman
03/06/2005, 10:13 AM
Not sure if it's tempered. I will have to check. Tempered bad? Also, if I make an overflow box out of acrylic, can it be "adhered" to the glass tank?

DgenR8
03/06/2005, 10:28 AM
Tempered glass can not be drilled. Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer and ask them if the tank is made with tempered glass. I can share a contact at Perfecto, if your tank is a Perfecto.
In most cases, the bottom glass is tempered, and you wind up putting holes in the back glass.
You can easily attach an acrylic overflow box to your glass tank with silicone.

goatman
03/06/2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks Larry. It is a perfecto tank. I'm thinking of drilling the back glass near the top. Does it make a difference how far the bulkhead is from the top? Drill in corners or the middle?

romunov
03/06/2005, 11:38 AM
You can drill it yourself.
Drilling 20g with fish and water (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234382)

DgenR8
03/06/2005, 11:52 AM
While have read about a few success stories drilling a full tank, I don't recommend it. If you crack an empty tank while drilling it, you have to replace the tank, if you crack a full tank while drilling it, you could be looking at a disaster.
If the tank is Perfecto, shoot an email to tblake@perfectomfg.com Give her any info about the tank that you know, and she should be able to tell you which, if any panels are tempered. Be nice to her, she's always been very nice to me, and others I've sent her way.
I have drilled a few tanks myself, and I prefer to be a few inches away from the edges. It can be done with a hand held drill and diamond hole saw, or even a Dremmel type thing, but what I have done, and believe is the safest method is use a drill press, set on the slowest possible speed (200 RPM) and a diamond hole saw.