PDA

View Full Version : blenny or goby?

hubes1
03/06/2005, 02:53 AM
Hey there,

I'd like to get a fish that hangs out on the substrate of my tank. Starting to read up a bit on blennies and gobies. Trying to decide between lawnmower blenny, scooter blenny, diamond goby, yellowheaded goby, or perhaps some shrimp goby.

It sounded like LMBs are hard to keep once they mow down any hair algae, while gobies might require a bit more feeding and meaty foods.

Any suggestions / tips?

TaxiDriver
03/06/2005, 02:59 AM
get a shrimp goby paired with....of course, a shrimp. I heard the realationship is fun to watch

ctopal
03/06/2005, 06:39 AM
I just got a shrimp goby a few weeks ago. He pretty much stays in one spot with his head sticking out, sometimes he pokes around the tank. Comes out to eat, but doesn't swim high. The cleaner shrimp in with him tends to get most of the food. I feed him pellets in the afternoon and frozen brine shrimp in the afternoon. Make sure there isn't too much competition for food.

waterfaller1
03/06/2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by hubes1
Hey there,

I'd like to get a fish that hangs out on the substrate of my tank. Starting to read up a bit on blennies and gobies. Trying to decide between lawnmower blenny, scooter blenny, diamond goby, yellowheaded goby, or perhaps some shrimp goby.

It sounded like LMBs are hard to keep once they mow down any hair algae, while gobies might require a bit more feeding and meaty foods.

Any suggestions / tips? LMB's will eat any food,not just algae.There are also algae based foods,such as formula 2 by O.N.Mine eats everything..including mysis shrimp,zooplankton,algae sheets,clams,krill..he is a pig.Scooter blennies are NOT blennies,they are dragonets and require a mature tank with alot of liverock..just like a mandarin.They eat live food,tiny crustaceans such as copepods and amphipods.They will however sometimes eat frozen mysis,sweetwater zooplankton,and cyclop-eeze.Yellowheaded sleeper gobies will sift your sand and disturb the sandbed..constantly.Eating all the beneficial critters..not a good choice.Yellow watchman gobies are cool.

krayzie
03/06/2005, 07:10 AM
goby r funny 2 watch when they sift thru the substrate... when they eat the substrate all the rubble comes outta their gills