PDA

View Full Version : anyone have any extra pickling lime?

Jpizzle
03/06/2005, 02:12 AM
I saw a few bags at one of the meetings several months ago in the raffle.. but of course I didn't win :)

Hopin maybe someone has a bag or two I could buy off them?

Jonovan02
03/06/2005, 05:30 AM
I got a few bags of the mrs. wages pickling lime. Let me know.

prodman
03/06/2005, 11:04 AM
Where can you buy it?

Jpizzle
03/06/2005, 05:54 PM
I think most people get it online.. I just didn't want to go that route.

Jpizzle
03/06/2005, 05:58 PM
oh yea sent PM Jonovan..

btw Paul- I like your avatar.. I love that show

prodman
03/06/2005, 08:22 PM
thanks Jp. When I ask for it at the grocery store they look at me like Im crazy.

Da85CBears
03/06/2005, 11:40 PM
Hey Prodman I had the same problem tonight. LOL I was like "Well maybe a woman employee would know." then we asked a female employee and she was blanked face. So my son and I left.

lukasnca
03/07/2005, 12:05 AM
The grocery stores in the bay area suck. I'm from Canada and most of our food was imported from Cali and it was always much better and there was more of it than what I find here at the grocery stores.

Anyway, someone needs to befriend a grocery store owner and get them into reefing and then get them to start ordering pickling lime ... or maybe just order some online ... :)

racrumrine
03/07/2005, 12:41 AM
Just go to a Mexican grocery store and ask for "Cal" which is the same thing. Cal is used in making homemade tortillas.

Best of luck,

Roy

reefgineer
03/07/2005, 12:46 AM
Go to Walmart in San Leandro. That is where I found it. Not sure what section it was in but it was there.

SanFranTodd
03/07/2005, 12:52 AM
Does pickling lime have the exact same ingredients as name brand kalk mix (i.e. Kent etc.) ?

Da85CBears
03/07/2005, 01:07 AM
according to aot of reports of people using it the answer is yes

Da85CBears
03/07/2005, 01:32 AM
Hey SFTodd go to this link: http://www.billsext.com/kalk.htm

It is one of the post of people using it.

jimsar
03/07/2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by prodman
thanks Jp. When I ask for it at the grocery store they look at me like Im crazy.

At the rate I'm going, my stock will probably last me 2 years. I won't mind sharing some with you, Prodman, just PM or email me next time you're in Vallejo.
Jim

prodman
03/07/2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks Jim that would be great

Bamm Bamm
03/07/2005, 12:52 PM
just order it online.. I ordered a case last time and split it between my exgf and myself... IT"S REALLY cheap.. Walmart stopped carrying the Balls Pickling Lime FYI..

Vincerama2
03/09/2005, 01:17 PM
What! They stopped carrying it? Walmart in Mountain View was always a good source (It's in the the "Jam/preserve" section with the mason jars). I had heard they carried it seasonally (pickling season) so is it gone forever, or just until pickle season?

Also, I had to speak to 6 (SIX!) people at that Walmart before giving up. It's funny cuz they are all like "Pickles? Limes?" someone on the INTERNET told me where to find the stuff in the store! Hilarious that the employees don't know where to find stuff, but ask on the net and you find your answer...sheesh!

Yeah, and if you get the Mrs Wages, it's most economical (OK, we are only talking a few bucks here) to order 4 bags. If you order 5, the price pushes you into slightly more expensive shipping, and if you get just one bag...well, it's not worth it. http://store.yahoo.com/mrswages/mrswagpiclim.html Hmmm...new container, new price...

V

JoeMack
03/09/2005, 05:20 PM
nm, :)

Vincerama2
03/09/2005, 05:59 PM
huh?

V

JoeMack
03/09/2005, 06:00 PM
I posted the link you posted, then seen it right after so I edited the post :)

Bamm Bamm
03/09/2005, 06:22 PM
IF Walmart does still have it( I know the one near me and the one in Chico doesn't have it, I read on another thread a few motnhs back that Ball's stopped making it..) But if they do have it it will be on te Canning Isle where all the jars and stuff are and the ball's in a green cylinder style container...

maldivian_chicken
03/10/2005, 03:01 AM
I have some ESV kawasser powder I can bring to the meeting this weekend if I don't have to go to work.

It'd be interesting if I get stopped by a cop on the way. Ocifer, these packets of white powder are for some people who are meeting at an industrial building right now, the substance is quite harmless, honestly!

JoeMack
03/10/2005, 03:50 AM
lol, I was thinking of keeping a little sack of interceptor in my wallet for pre treating SPS pieces, but then again I could go to jail for heroin or look-a-like-substance charges. Then again we call our selves BA Reefers.

lol

(bump for you so it doesn't seem like a hyjack)

Vincerama2
03/10/2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by maldivian_chicken
I have some ESV kawasser powder I can bring to the meeting this weekend if I don't have to go to work.

It'd be interesting if I get stopped by a cop on the way. Ocifer, these packets of white powder are for some people who are meeting at an industrial building right now, the substance is quite harmless, honestly!

Let him rub some on his gums, like in the movies. When he runs off screaming, take off!

I'm guessing cops have some sort of test kit that they can use to see if it's really something illegal (Sea Test Cocaine Tester!)

I do remember reading some story in the forums where some guy's friend noticed his baggies of kalkwasser in his car and staged an "Intervention" for him! HA ha!

V

Psionicdragon
03/10/2005, 03:40 PM
I am a bit confused.

Could you guys explain what the pickling lime is for?

I click the link, so I am guessing that the acidicity from the limes allow more calcium ion to be added.

Thanks

raddogz
03/10/2005, 04:32 PM
Check out this article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/

It's not the fruit.

Bamm Bamm
03/10/2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah years ago a fellow RC member shipped me a IV drip and a large ziplock full of Kalk... my parents thought I was doing drugs or something at first until I explained everything to them=)

Hey what's wrong with BA Reefers=) I love the name

Jpizzle
03/10/2005, 07:06 PM
Vince... hahahhahha funny post

xtremereefer
03/11/2005, 12:03 AM
Does anyone need some, I have a box full of that stuff. LMK I'll be going to the East Bay with Lapsan and can bring some of the pickling lime.