PDA

View Full Version : Any local hardware stores CUT wood?

SanFranTodd
03/06/2005, 12:19 AM
I'm starting a few DIY projects and was wondering if any bay area hardware stores will actually cut the lumber onsite? (I'd call around but it's after hours and just thought I'd ask here).

Thanks!

Jonovan02
03/06/2005, 12:36 AM
I believe any Orchard Supply Hardware does it.

sfsuphysics
03/06/2005, 01:09 AM
Lowes and Homedepot will do it I think for plywood and the like if thats what you mean,if its 2by material I can let you borrow one of my hand saws (human powered ;)), and you can do whatever cutting you need.

lrsafari
03/06/2005, 02:11 AM
Home Depot will ( I believe) make 2 cuts free ( I think per item). I had some 2X's cut for me there, and will have a piece of plywood cut to size tommorrow.

Now, they state no precision cuts, so it depends on how precise you want them.

Scott

saltwaterdummy
03/06/2005, 04:27 AM
I just did a DIY stand for my 75 gal tand. I had all the wood cut from HD and then put them together in my apartment. I't came out real nice. I was thinking about spending $175 for a stand from the LFS then I thouhgt " let me try a DIY stand" the whole thing cost me under $50

SanFranTodd
03/06/2005, 04:40 AM
did you waterproof the finish?

Markarian421
03/06/2005, 02:38 PM
It depends on the OSH, the one closest to me won't cut wood. At Lowes they have a machine but I can never find anyone willing to do it. I never have trouble getting it cut at Home Depot but it's usually not very exact.

raddogz
03/07/2005, 04:43 PM
Todd,

HD and Lowes will cut the wood. Lowes in San Bruno will cut it but you may have to stand around and ring the bell kind of thing "assistance needed in the wood department...assistand needed in the wood department".

Let me know if you want to borrow a circular saw to cut some timber down to size.

-Eileen

Bamm Bamm
03/07/2005, 05:07 PM
Most of the places will do it for free if you buy it there at the time. One thing I recomend.. Don't trust there cuts. I got a few things cut at HD while in College since I didn't have my tools in Fresno with me and there cuts were horribly off...

SanFranTodd
03/07/2005, 05:18 PM
Hmmm....I guess I will just bring a tape measure with me and measure the pieces right when they hand them back and say "you suck, cut this again" if they're bad. :D The "no precision cuts" rule is understandable but I'm not doing anything complicated. Thanks for all the info!

Bamm Bamm
03/07/2005, 06:09 PM
Good idea on the tape measure..

Vincerama2
03/08/2005, 08:32 PM
Todd, go down to Brownies (Ace Hardware) on Polk & Sacramento, like a block up from Lapsan's place (Sacramento St). You wouldn't think it, but they sell wood downstairs (yep, there is a downstairs) and they'll cut it for you, I believe. They also have a cut-off bin with some wood that you can get for like a buck or something ... depending on who's at the register. Also, they will rent you tools too, I rented a corded drill for $5 when I built the hood for my 10g nano tank and my crappy battery powered drill kept running out of juice!

The problem with the guy at home depot is that you have to be careful what you ask them to cut. I had a piece of 4x8 plywood cut. I wanted two identical sized pieces, and you'd think that a 48" piece cut in half would be easy to do...and I actually knew the guy would do this, but he cut a piece to 24"...not taking into acount the kerf of the blade...so the other piece came out as 24" - (width of blade). So be careful when planning your cuts! Otherwise, I found the cuts (from the East Palo Alto Home Depot) to be very precise and straight...They use a panel saw, so you get good straight cuts (it's a circular saw in a huge rig and the saw runs on a track).

Todd, did you guys get a new car?

V

Vincerama2
03/08/2005, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you might wander by the Ace Hardware at Pacific and Leavenworth, to see what kind of wood they have there, though I don't think they cut it. When I lived up there, those were the two places I went to for wood, if I didn't want to walk 5 blocks to my car then drive to HD.

V

SanFranTodd
03/08/2005, 10:17 PM
Wow that's awesome Vince thanks for the advice. We're getting a new car in 2 weeks and I'm counting the hours - it's been torture without one!