PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Salt with Water

texgirl
03/05/2005, 09:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All,

I am currently mixing my salt water in a 20 gal and 30 gal container with a mag 7 in each circulating.

How long do I need to let it mix with the water before putting it in my tank?

Thanks, John

DaddyJax
03/05/2005, 10:04 PM
Till the salt is desolved and then let it circulate for 24hours!

conspicman
03/05/2005, 10:33 PM
You need to let it circulate for 24 hrs so that all of the chemical compounds can disolve. There are reactions that occur and everything is completely balanced after 24 hrs.

sherm71tank
03/05/2005, 10:56 PM
Ditto, 24 hours!

reverai
03/05/2005, 11:31 PM
>You need to let it circulate for 24 hrs so that all of the chemical compounds can disolve. There are reactions that occur and everything is completely balanced after 24 hrs<

This is no longer true.The salt for several years ago had mix for many hours but saltyou but the salt that one buys now doesn't need to be mixed for 24 hours so the chemical compounds can disolve.It can't hurt but if that was "rule< how come none of the four packages of differents salt I have bother mentioning it. Or anyone who written any of the dozen or so books about marine tanks mention it either other than the two old ones I have printer in the early 90s.

Steve

The Punisher
03/05/2005, 11:59 PM
From what I've read on here, most would say that 8 hours is plenty of time to mix, and I think this is mainly for pH reasons. I mix for about 24 hours just to make sure everything is good, it can't hurt. You just want to make sure your pH, temp, and salinity are equal to your tank, or as close as possible.

sherm71tank
03/06/2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by reverai
>You need to let it circulate for 24 hrs so that all of the chemical compounds can disolve. There are reactions that occur and everything is completely balanced after 24 hrs<

This is no longer true.The salt for several years ago had mix for many hours but saltyou but the salt that one buys now doesn't need to be mixed for 24 hours so the chemical compounds can disolve.It can't hurt but if that was "rule< how come none of the four packages of differents salt I have bother mentioning it. Or anyone who written any of the dozen or so books about marine tanks mention it either other than the two old ones I have printer in the early 90s.

Steve

So then I can just mix the salt in my tank?

vince R
03/06/2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by reverai

Steve
They have no way of knowing where you will get your source water. So really how could they. They would need to list
If you are using
tap-this amount of time
RO-this amount of time
Well-this amount of time
and so on.

Most of the experts on these forums still say 24 hrs.
If it is a brand new tank yes you can mix it in the tank. If it is a tank that has inhabitants I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents.

conspicman
03/06/2005, 10:56 AM
Remember the # 1 rule in reef keeping is go slowlly. It may not be a must. I say why not error on the side of caution. If you allow it to mix for 24 hrs than you know that all the salt and other compounds are completelly mixed. You will have nice stable salt water. Just my 2 cents worth.

PoukieBear
03/06/2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by sherm71tank
So then I can just mix the salt in my tank?

ACH! NO! please don't do that. If you don't want to let the salt mix for 24 hours, then mix it in a seperate container untill all is disolved, and then you can put it in your tank.

NEVER NEVER NEVER mix your salt directly in your tank. It's not good for anythig that you may have in there. And besides, what if you over shoot and your salinity skyrockets? at least in a seperat container you can fix that easily.

Michelle