PDA

View Full Version : How many fish can I keep?

plancton
03/05/2005, 09:47 PM
Hi, I am going to build a 48 gallon tank, and I was wondering how many fish will I be able to keep.

I was thinking about having 2 clowns, 1 blue tang, 1 stone blenny, and 1 yellow watchman.

But it would be cool if could add one extra fish, in this case it would be another gobie.

Please reply.

der_wille_zur_macht
03/05/2005, 09:58 PM
Ditch the tang and you'll be set.

It's not really about picking a number of fish you can keep, but more about picking fish that will be OK in your tank and with eachother. The list you've posted are all compatible, but a 46g tank is going to be considered too small for any tang by a majority of aquarium keepers.

plancton
03/05/2005, 10:19 PM
Yeah that's what I thought, in fact I wanted to buy a baby tang about less than 2 inches, normally fish grow restricted by the space, so if the tang grows to a size that would be unconfortable, maybe I could sell it.

But if not, what are my stock options?

conspicman
03/05/2005, 10:39 PM
Fish compatibity and space restrictions will limit you. As far as maintaning water quality it depends on the amount of bio filtration, ie. amount of live rock/bio media and your skimmer size. If you have a good skimmer and the proper amounts of live rock than you should have no problem with your selections.

Pistonkev
03/06/2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by plancton
Yeah that's what I thought, in fact I wanted to buy a baby tang about less than 2 inches, normally fish grow restricted by the space, so if the tang grows to a size that would be unconfortable, maybe I could sell it.

But if not, what are my stock options?

So you think if you put a tang in a small tank it won't grow?:eek2:

puffer21
03/06/2005, 08:37 AM
it maters how big the fish are it is one gallon per inch of fish

fishman805
03/06/2005, 08:50 AM
I thought it was 1"/10gal. for SWF....?

conspicman
03/06/2005, 10:43 AM
There is really no good rule of thumb. If you really want the fish just try it but, make sure that you watch it carefully. If the health of the fish starts to decline than it will need to be removed. Of course when I say try it I mean with in reason.