PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Star Fish in a new tank

Bandsaw
03/05/2005, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

My tank has been in operation since Jan 1/05. Currently, I have about 80 lbs of cured live rock, about 20 hermit crabs, 5 Astraea Snails and 2 Trochus Snails.

I have been fighting a bad outbreak of Diatom algae (I am assuming that is what the brown mock is). I am slowly winning on this front.

Here is my problem. My last purchase came with a Burgendy Starfish (about an 1 1/2 inches in diameter). My LFS did not notice the hitch hiker when he packaged the rock from his aquarium.

Since my aquarium is still very new, I am worried about this fella going hungry. I have started to feed the tank a pinch of flake food every other day in an attempt to provide some food for the star fish. I am worried that the extra food may also fuel the Diatom problem.

In addition to the Burgendy Star Fish, two other very small star fish (about 1/4 inch, kind of a plain sandy color beast, almost translucent looking) have shown up.

I had not intended any animals, other than the clean up crew, until my Diatom problem was beat. Certainly no star fish until i've had some fish for a while.

Can anyone give any further advise on feeding these new star fish.

Thanks

ihavtats29
03/05/2005, 09:14 PM
stick a small piece of raw shrimp under one of its arms
it may take a few atempts but it will eventualy eat unless its a alge or deterious eater