PDA

View Full Version : ya gotta wonder

w0rm
03/05/2005, 08:09 PM
A customer I had yesterday was telling me how he used to work at another pet store in town before it closed down. We got to talking about saltwater tanks, etc. and he told me it's actually better to start with a 10gal or less tank since they're easier to maintain and less work :eek1: . I found this hard to believe, especially since everything I read, mostly on here, says bigger is better.

That's why I'm planning on using my 29gal to start with, and building a sump/fuge for a bit more water capacity. Though lately I've been thinking about buying something between 75-125 gallons and using the 29 as a sump. It's such an addicting habit. :)

Maybe that kind of advice is why the other store closed...

Ben CC
03/05/2005, 08:19 PM
While it is better to start with a bigger tank, smaller tanks are more manageable than ever now with the new tech. and learning experiences of others to use as a guide.

w0rm
03/05/2005, 08:40 PM
I guess I hadn't thought of that (new technology). I suppose they can be more manageable with that and sharing experiences with others. Thanks for bringing that up Ben CC.

I think I'm still going to go with something bigger than a ten though, especially considering there aren't too many fish that can fit in there long term (at least those I'm most interested in).

Agu
03/05/2005, 09:06 PM
Larger tanks are more forgiving when mistakes occur. Technology can't replace knowledge and experience.

Actually smaller tanks may require less overall maintenence but they need daily attention, something a less dedicated aquarist may not do. However going too large can also be disappointing when one realizes the cost involved. IMHO a 40 breeder drilled and with a sump is the ideal beginners tank.

jmo,

Agu

aquaman67
03/05/2005, 09:11 PM
Better is subjective.

Does better mean cheaper? Because filling a large tank can run into the thousands quick.

Does better mean easier to maintain?

Larger is more stable. But with proper attention, smaller tanks can be successful.

So, in that respect, better means you don't have to keep as close an eye on it because it's more stable.