PDA

View Full Version : Brain Coral Positioning

lossman
03/05/2005, 06:29 PM
We have a Brain Coral on our live rock. Currently it's on top of the rock. We'd like to tilt the rock forward some, to make some more stuff on the back of the rock more viewable. That would put the brain on the front of the rock. Should still get plenty of light and current, as much as now.

Is that positioning OK?

Thanks folks
:cool:

dfiddy
03/05/2005, 07:00 PM
can't help ya with your question but have you searched anything about the brain coral that you recieved on your rock? i'm guessing its an open brain.. this site miiiiiight help?? >> http://www.wetwebmedia.com/trachyphlliidae.htm

On it, it mentions:

[[[[Habitat:

Ideally, a full-blown reef set-up with either boosted fluorescents and/or MH if more than a couple of feet deep. Finer substrates are better, but I've seen these animals kept on bare bottoms, gravel, mud (in public aquariums around the world). In the wild they utilize their fleshy expansion to lift themselves (including their carbonate skeleton) to cleaner, sunnier conditions upward.

Placement:

Open Brain Coral are best just placed (gently) on the aquarium substrate, though they can be positioned on a flat area arranged in your rockwork. Take care (of course) to not tear the animals tissues. By waving your hand near an open specimen, it will retract its polyps facilitating its moving.

Types and amounts of lighting are not ultimately too important with this species. They will/do adapt, even change color readily to suit the circumstances afforded them. Do however guard against photo-shock in the case of placing new specimens and changing aged lamps.]]]]

BillnJennh
03/05/2005, 08:52 PM
With an open brain, you have to make sure that it has plenty of room to expand. It can go on the rock if it doesn't wobble and possibly fall when it is fully expanded. It can also rub it's sensitive flesh on the rock if your not careful and eventually cause an nasty infection for the coral. If you can make sure that neither of these are the case for this brain, then it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference which way you have it positioned--just, like I said, make sure it can't fall or rub constantly.

lossman
03/05/2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by BillnJennh
With an open brain, you have to make sure that it has plenty of room to expand. It can go on the rock if it doesn't wobble and possibly fall when it is fully expanded. It can also rub it's sensitive flesh on the rock if your not careful and eventually cause an nasty infection for the coral. If you can make sure that neither of these are the case for this brain, then it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference which way you have it positioned--just, like I said, make sure it can't fall or rub constantly.

This brain coral came on a piece of TBS rock. It seems well "planted". So, I would assume, in this case, it would not matter if we tilted the whole rock....correct?

sunamoon
03/05/2005, 09:33 PM
correct. My open brain is positioned high in my tank and is tilted also. seems much happier than when it was down low on the sand. expands beautifully.

Bass Master
03/05/2005, 09:47 PM
Is this your hitchiker? If so, it's a type of favia. Moderate flow, moderate light.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Bassin10/favia.jpg

lossman
03/06/2005, 07:21 AM
Here's our brain:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/508/79191Rock-7-Small.jpg

guzz64
03/06/2005, 08:02 AM
I have had mine on rocks and on sand. They were healthy both places.

Just make sure it is stable and has room to expand. You will be fine.

BillnJennh
03/06/2005, 09:38 AM
In that case, yes, you can play with the position of the rock as long as the brain still gets light and flow.

Bass Master
03/06/2005, 10:23 PM
Nice hitchiker. Looks like some kind of maze.

phil519
03/06/2005, 10:59 PM
while closely related to the "open brain" it's a manicina areolata coral. i'd assume care is similar to the open brain as instructions were posted previously. An occasional feeding of meaty foods (when those feeder tentacles are extended) won't hurt either.