View Full Version : Metal Halide questions

team7
03/05/2005, 04:00 PM
Hi,
I'm considering getting metal halide system. Here's my questions:

1) which brand is good?

2) I have heard that the buld to Metal Halides last from 6-12
months before they need to be change.

3) What do you think about IceCap Metal Halide ballast?

Thanks

Kaos
03/05/2005, 04:18 PM
1) which brand is good?
IMO/IME Ice Cap is the best. PFO are also pretty solid. I'm sure there are more but those two I know are time tested

2) I have heard that the buld to Metal Halides last from 6-12
months before they need to be change.
The amount of time between bulb changes depends on a few factors, mainly what kind of ballast is driving them. Electronic seem to be ideal, core and coil are pretty good, and HQI ballasts will require more frequent bulb changes due to overdriving the bulbs. Other than electronic ballasts you will need to match the ballast to the bulb you plan to run (probe start, pulse start, etc.)

3) What do you think about IceCap Metal Halide ballast?
Again IME/IMO Ice Cap is the best. The thing, for me atleast, that puts them over the top is the fail safes they build into the circuitry.

There is a good thread in the Lighting and Filtration forum that covers alot of info. on MH ballasts an bulbs. Here is a link: Metal Halide Ballasts (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201570)

Ironman
03/05/2005, 04:23 PM
The Ice Cap ballasts are good but you can assemble a ballast yourself for less money. I assembled 2 x 250 MH ballast that I bought at the local electrical store $35.00 each. They've been running my 12,000K bulbs for 15 months no problems.

selgado
03/06/2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Glenn W.
...and HQI ballasts will require more frequent bulb changes due to overdriving the bulbs.

Are you saying that all HQI bulbs are over driven?

MinibowMatt
03/06/2005, 02:09 PM
From what I have READ, if you run an HQI bulb on an HQI ballast, you arent Overdriving it. If you are driving a Regular bulb with an HQI ballast, you are overdriving it.

Please do correct me if im wrong.
Matt

orlenz
03/06/2005, 02:24 PM
HQI bulbs are not overdriven, if you use the proper ballast.

Kaos
03/06/2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by MinibowMatt
From what I have READ, if you run an HQI bulb on an HQI ballast, you arent Overdriving it. If you are driving a Regular bulb with an HQI ballast, you are overdriving it.

Please do correct me if im wrong
Matt

You are correct. The only HQI bulbs that I know of are the DE bulbs, although I could be mistaken.

kal2310
03/06/2005, 04:25 PM
I would suggest heading over to www.hellolights.com. Give them a call, tell them what you want to do with your tank, and they will set you up with the best possible lighting situation, and at a good price!

shilo_1
03/06/2005, 06:58 PM
I got my new MH setup from Justin at www.diyreef.com. His site is down now, temporarily, due to some personal issues, but hopefully it will be back up again very soon.

I got 2 175w retros with 2 20k XM bulbs all for under $400 (included shipping) which, IMO, isn't bad...compared to some places out there. Thats with Icecaps.

MH's are expensive, but you won't regret it !!! I can see such a difference in my tank in the month or so since I've changed to MH's from my old PC's.